Walter Cronkite

TV related and TV station items from yesterday

Walter Cronkite

Postby jon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am

Good To Know: A Most Fortunate Irony
Don Shelby (WCCO-TV Minneapolis) CBS
News arrived Friday that veteran CBS newsman Walter Cronkite was gravely ill. A later report from people close to Cronkite said the reports were overstated and he is at home recovering from an illness. Don Shelby said, there is irony in an inaccurate report on the man they call the Most Trusted Man in America.

It was with great sadness that I heard the news today that 92-year-old Walter Cronkite was near death. Well, as Mark Twain once said, and I paraphrase, "the reports of my impending death have been greatly exaggerated."

Cronkite is, I hope, thinking the same thing. According to family members, Walter is still with us, recovering from an illness that caused him to miss an appearance. After a long career of getting things right, there is something sad about getting a story about the great man wrong.

I can hear him now, "Let's get this thing nailed down." I hope Walter Cronkite will be with us a long time.

Those of you too young to have seen him missed something very special... a network television anchor who felt like a part of the family. We even had a pet name for him. So from all of us, get well soon, "Uncle Walter."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Walter Cronkite

Postby cart_machine » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 am

jon wrote:Don Shelby (WCCO-TV Minneapolis) CBS
Well, as Mark Twain once said, and I paraphrase,

What?! It's either a statement or a paraphase of a statement. It can't be both.

Uncle Walter would fix that sloppy writing.

After hearing of Ed McMahon today, it's nice to know The Most Trusted Man in America is not near death.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to TV History