Christmas in Seattle .. Oct.31

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Christmas in Seattle .. Oct.31

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Halloween isn't even over yet and the folks at KCMS Spirit 105.3 in Seattle have begun what will be almost eight weeks of Christmas music on the station.

It gets earlier each and every year.

:xtree4:

I will give them full credit though, I heard a promo that actually had the words Merry Christmas in it!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Christmas in Seattle .. Oct.31

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

The Home Depot nearest here (Silverdale,WA) has had Christmas decoration sales displays up for close to a month already. People here say they used to hope that stores would hold off on this until maybe after US Thanksgiving but now, they'd settle for stores waiting until at least after Halloween. No such luck.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 am

radiofan wrote:...I will give them full credit though, I heard a promo that actually had the words Merry Christmas in it!

Well. I`d expect no less of a station that operates with a Christian music format.

Looks like the early Xmas music yesterday may have been a one-day spoof just for Halloween. The KCMS website seems to indicate the continuous 24/7 Christmas music tradition for The Spirit 105.3 will again this year begin the day after US Thanksgiving. That's "Black Friday," right??
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

Just checked and they are back to their normal CCM (or whatever it is called these days) format.

The Hallowe'en timing may also have been to coincide with what surprised me when I read it in an article yesterday in the Edmonton Journal: the number of families with children who "boycott" Hallowe'en. Bob Layton's editorial on CHED this morning also made reference to the dwindling number of young children out Trick or Treating, and the growing number of Teens seemingly intent on not always so harmless "fun". Though his main focus was on career criminals dressing up for a holdup.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News