KGY 96.9 returns to Country

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

KGY 96.9 returns to Country

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 pm

KGY 96.9 in McCleary-Olympia, WA which has a reach covering Tacoma and Seattle's southern suburbs has dropped Classic Hits as "The Sound" and flipped to Country branded as "South Sound Country".
http://www.southsoundcountry.com/
The station had previously been Country up until July 2010 when it flipped to the apparently unsuccessful Classic Hits format.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: KGY 96.9 returns to Country

Postby BossRadio » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey Dan.. A query on Washington Country sticks.
I remember driving into the NW via Idaho about twenty years back,and there was a midstate(?) country station that promoted itself on a splitter as "broadcasting live from Tiger Mountain! ". Always thought it was a cool image. Does this ring a bell? it was a pretty decent sounding small market signal.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 pm

The towers for most of the major Seattle area stations are on Tiger Mountain on the west slope. The east slope would be too far away for stations in Central Washington to locate their towers there (my first thoughts were KXLE 95.3 in Ellensburg). I wonder if the station you mentioned is (was) KRPM 106.1 in Tacoma? They were Country about 20 years ago and the tower for their current incarnation KBKS (106.1 KISS FM) is located on Tiger Mountain. Any thoughts on this Radiofan?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

It almost sounds like something that would have been used on KYCW Young Country 96.5 .. with their Top approach to Country, complete with echo etc.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. If my fading memory serves,it wasn't Young Country,maybe even an AM station....but Young Country DID kick arse for few months..came nicely into Nanaimo on cable, and ate some of our CKEG audience.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News