Bill Virgin's Radio Beat - March 29, 2007

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:48 pm

On Radio: Edwards loves being on XM, Randy Newman and Seattle
By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

How does Bob Edwards like his new radio home -- satellite service XM -- nearly three years after his departure from National Public Radio?

Just ask him.

The 59-minute daily interview program on XM gives Edwards the opportunity to do much longer interviews than could be accommodated by the format of "Morning Edition," which he hosted for 25 years. It also allows him to get out of the studio for reporting. XM, he adds, is "a place that hires professionals" and leaves them alone to do their work without micromanagement. As a result, the work he's doing now is some of his best ever, he believes.

In summary, says Edwards, "I think you're hearing a much happier me. ... We've got the best of all worlds. Life is good."

Not that Edwards' heart -- or voice -- left public radio behind. In fact, Edwards is now back on public radio, with a weekly show featuring the highlights of his XM program, heard locally at 10 a.m. Saturdays on KPLU-FM (88.5) (although the show is distributed by Public Radio International, not NPR).

And Edwards is coming to Seattle for a show with musician Randy Newman at 8 p.m. Friday at the Paramount Theatre. The show is a benefit for both KPLU and Seattle Theatre Group, which operates the Paramount and Moore theaters.

That Seattle is the setting for this one-off show is not a surprise, given the size of public radio's audience here.

"It's public-radio heaven; both those stations are magnificent," Edwards says in a phone interview. "You don't have to ask me twice. If it's Seattle, I'm there."

Nor is the musical component of the show, or Newman's involvement, a surprise. While Edwards' show covers traditional topics including politics, current events and books, it also has a heavy component of interviews with musicians. Recent shows have included interviews with David Bromberg, Rickie Lee Jones and the Turtle Island Quartet.

Edwards says that is natural, giving the setting of his show. "I work in a jukebox," he says of XM. "You can't turn a corner without running into an amazing star." In fact, it's such an embarrassment of riches that sometimes he has to "fight to keep it from being a music program."

Newman, meanwhile, is "a believer" in public radio, having once paid to attend an NPR fund-raising brunch that included Edwards. The two are also on the same wavelength in terms of humor, he adds. "He's so damn funny. Whatever he says, I laugh at. I love irreverence."

In the early days at NPR, Edwards once played "Burn On Big River," Newman's ode to the smoldering Cuyahoga, in its entirety "just because I felt like it."

Things are going well enough for Edwards that he's not even fazed by the potential ramifications of the proposed merger between XM and competing satellite service Sirius. "I'm a hired hand," he says, and not given to fret about things he can't control. In addition, he just signed a contract for three more years. "Merger or no merger, there's going to be a Bob Edwards show."

In other radio notes:

Don Riggs' guests on "Introspect Northwest" at 7 a.m. Saturday on KPTK-AM (1090) and 7 a.m. Sunday on KMPS-FM (94.1) include former Seattle attorney Lis Wiehl, author of a book on equal pay for women, "The 51 Percent Minority."

The Metropolitan Opera performs Strauss' "Die Agyptische Helena" at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on KING-FM (98.1).

Lizz Sommars' guests on "Conversations" at 6 a.m. Sunday on KISW-FM (99.9), KBSG-FM (97.3) and KKWF-FM (100.7) include mountain climber John Harlin III, author of "The Eiger Obsession."

Tami Kosch interviews Joel Westheimer, author of "Pledging Allegiance: The Politics of Patriotism in America's Schools," on "Community Matters Weekend Edition" at 7 a.m. Sunday on KPTK-AM.

RADIO STATIONS

AM STATIONS

Freq. Format
KVI 570 Talk
KCIS 630 Christian
KIRO 710 News/Talk
KTTH 770 Talk
KGNW 820 Christian
KIXI 880 Nostalgic pop hits
KJR 950 Sports/Talk
KOMO 1000 News
KBLE 1050 Religious
KPTK 1090 Air America
KKNW 1150 News/Talk
KWMG 1210 Spanish
KKDZ 1250 Radio Disney
KKOL 1300 Talk
KKMO 1360 Spanish
KRKO 1380 Sports/Talk
KRIZ 1420 Classic soul/R&B
KXPA 1540 Spanish
KLFE 1590 Christian
KYIZ 1620 Urban contemporary
KDOW 1680 Spanish

FM STATIONS
KPLU 88.5 Jazz/News
KNHC 89.5 Top 40/Dance
KGRG 89.9 Alternative rock
KEXP 90.3 Alternative/ World music
KSER 90.7 Public affairs/Music
KBCS 91.3 Jazz/Folk/World
KQMV 92.5 Rhythmic hits
KUBE 93.3 Urban contemporary
KMPS 94.1 Country
KUOW 94.9 News/NPR
KJR 95.7 Classic rock hits
KJAQ 96.5 Rock/pop hits
KBSG 97.3 Oldies
KING 98.1 Classical
KWJZ 98.9 Smooth jazz
KISW 99.9 Rock
KKWF 100.7 Country
KPLZ 101.5 Adult contemporary
KZOK 102.5 Classic rock
KMTT 103.7 Adult alternative
KMIH 104.5 Contemporary hits
KFNK 104.9 Rock
KCMS 105.3 Contemporary Christian
KBKS 106.1 Contemporary hits
KRWM 106.9 Soft rock
KNDD 107.7 Alternative

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Bill Virgin's Radio Beat, Thursdays in the Seattle P-I
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News