Bill Virgin's Radio Beat July 20, 2006

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:31 pm

Thursday, July 20, 2006

On Radio: Frosty Fowler relives his wild rides

By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

Longtime Seattle radio host Frosty Fowler is back on the air locally with a show that is literally, if not figuratively, more down to earth than some of his previous on-air experiences.

That has its advantages and drawbacks. Fowler hosted a morning show in the 1960s on the old KING-AM from a booth on the observation deck of the Space Needle, from which he could watch, and comment on, such sights as rush-hour traffic, ships entering and leaving the port and the huge aerial formation of starlings that would fly toward the Ballard Bridge every morning.

But ground level was a more secure perch than the one Fowler occupied on April 29, 1965, when a 6.5 rolling earthquake and its aftershocks hit Seattle while Fowler was doing his show and playing a Connie Francis record.

"The needle swayed like crazy, but we stayed on the air," he says, recalling that while internally frightened he tried externally to keep any panic out of his voice.

That wasn't the only harrowing experience in Fowler's radio career. He broadcast from a painting scaffolding on the Needle, only to have his stay extended when the mechanism overheated and the platform tilted. He did parachute jumps that he recorded; on one of them he wound up in power lines. He took -- or endured -- glider rides, ostrich rides, handling a boa constrictor and being transferred in a bosun's chair between ships in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Those are the sorts of stories that figure in Fowler's latest radio venture, a once-a-week show at 10 a.m. Saturdays on Whidbey Island station KWDB-AM (1110) in which he does interviews and relates tales of his career in radio.

Fowler worked for King Broadcasting for 10 years, not only doing radio but hosting an afternoon movie and an "American Bandstand"-style show on KING/5. "I have to thank Mrs. Dorothy Bullitt," he says. "She was a queen."

Fowler also worked as a travel-tour host and a press secretary for the Washington attorney general, spent some time in Hollywood and worked with inmates at McNeil Island federal prison (one of the inmates he got to know: notorious bank robber Alvin Karpis). He also worked at Seattle's KGNW-AM, then moved to Hawaii for a few years before returning to the region.

One detail Fowler doesn't divulge is his age. "People feel when you get old you've lost it," he says. "I don't feel I've lost it." The big reason, he adds, is that he's found an activity that he enjoys and "keeps the mind facile."

In other radio notes:

Jim Dai, who had been morning host on KIXI-AM until it switched to a syndicated service, is now hosting mornings on sister Sandusky Radio station KWJZ-FM (98.9).

The BBC plans to broadcast its news and current affairs show "The World Today" from the new downtown Seattle library Monday and Tuesday. KUOW-FM (94.9) carries "The World Today" at 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and the full BBC service on its third HD channel.

KKWF-FM (100.7) said morning show producer Mary White has been promoted to co-host of the Fitz in the Morning show. Previous local radio stints include being a part of the Charlie & Ty show on KUBE-FM in the 1980s and 1990s.

Comcast said it plans to move 23 FM radio stations in Western Washington and Canada to its digital service starting Friday. Those stations will be dropped from its analog service by Aug. 11.

King County Executive Ron Sims takes listener calls on "Weekday" at 10 a.m. today on KUOW-FM.

Bruce Guthrie, Libertarian Party candidate for U.S. Senate, takes calls on "The Conversation" at 1 p.m. Friday on KUOW-FM.

Don Riggs' guests on "Introspect Northwest" at 7 a.m. Saturday on KPTK-AM (1090) and 7 a.m. Sunday on KMPS-FM (94.1) include former Vice President Al Gore discussing his movie "An Inconvenient Truth."

Since KSER-FM (90.7) doesn't do Christmas music in December, "Music With Moskowitz" presents the first of two parts of music and comedy for "Christmas in July" at noon Saturday.

Oval League performs on "Sonarchy" at midnight Saturday on KEXP-FM (90.3).

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Seattle P-I Bill Virgin's Radio Beat
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News