Bill Virgin's On Radio March 12, 2009

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Bill Virgin's On Radio March 12, 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:11 pm

On Radio: Community stations seek donations
By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

The economy is in the tank, the headlines are filled with news about layoffs -- now would be a great time to go ask people for money.

But that's what public, community and noncommercial stations typically do each spring and fall, asking existing contributors to renew their memberships and hoping to land some new donors to replace those who have fallen away and maybe even increase the base of listeners willing to pay for the stations they hear.

Those pledge drives, and the success rate in meeting goals, are always important for those stations. This year, with tremendous pressure on other forms of support including corporate underwriting, they're crucial.

"For a lot of stations this is a make-or-break year," says Bruce Wirth, general manager of Everett-based community station KSER-FM/90.7.

KSER is hoping to raise close to $48,000 in its spring drive. Out of an annual budget of $375,000 the station raises $120,000 from listeners.

KBCS-FM/91.3, based at Bellevue Community College, hopes to raise $177,000 in a drive that begins March 19, says general manager Steve Ramsey. That amount, he adds, "is ambitious for us," but would allow KBCS to meet its fiscal year budget target. The station has an overall budget of $670,000, of which $500,000 comes from listeners.

KSER does have a transmitter tower that it rents out, generating enough income to support a third of its annual operating budget. That allows KSER to use listener donations for programming costs. Stations like KSER and KBCS also rely on such sources as fundraising concerts, employer matches of listener donations and underwriting by business contributors.

But that still leaves a lot of the budget riding on what listeners come up with.

"If someone smarter than me could come up with a way of fundraising that's better, they would have done it years ago," Ramsey says. Its drawbacks notwithstanding, "It's really the most direct way to support this kind of media," he says. "It will be an ongoing challenge for stations."

The challenge is acute this year with many businesses cutting back spending on advertising, marketing and contributions, which would include support for community radio. Wirth said he has projected a 10 percent drop in business support this year.

But the response to a mailing to existing members in advance of the spring drive has been "OK," he says. Ramsey has heard anecdotal evidence from other community radio stations that have "done really well" in their recent pledge drives.

"I don't know," Wirth says about prospects for this year. "I'll just go in and hope for the best."

Adds Ramsey, "Even in good times I'm nervous about fundraising."

In other radio notes:

KIRO-AM/710 has announced the weekday programming lineup for its all-sports format, which it plans to launch next month. It will feature ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" 3-7 a.m.; another ESPN show, "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" 7-11 a.m.; a local show hosted by former University of Washington and NFL quarterback Brock Huard, teamed with former ESPN host and reporter Mike Salk, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; former Sonics play-by-play voice Kevin Calabro 3-6 p.m.; and Mariners pre-game and game broadcasts, or ESPN's "GameNight," 6 p.m.-midnight.

Bob Rivers, heard mornings on KZOK-FM/102.5, confirms that producer Mike Jones is no longer with the show for budget reasons. "He is a true pro, and his work for nearly a decade was impeccable," Rivers says via e-mail.

Attorney General Rob McKenna takes listener calls at 9 a.m. Thursday on "Weekday" on KUOW-FM/94.9.

The Bad Plus with Wendy Lewis performs in the studios of KPLU-FM/88.5 at 12:20 p.m. Friday.

The Metropolitan Opera performs Dvorak's "Rusalka" at 10 a.m. Saturday on KING-FM/98.1.

Jim Wilke's "Jazz Northwest" at 1 p.m. Sunday on KPLU-FM features performances by the Roosevelt and Garfield high school jazz bands.

The Sunday edition of Jim French's "Imagination Theatre," heard at 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday on KIXI-AM/880, includes a new Harry Nile mystery.

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Bill Virgin's "On Radio", Thursdays in the Seattle P-I
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News