Bill Virgin's Radio Beat September 28, 2006

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Thursday, September 28, 2006

On Radio: 'Music With Moskowitz' takes its final bow

By BILL VIRGIN
P-I REPORTER

One of the region's longest-running regularly scheduled radio programs gets its final airing this Saturday.

"Music With Moskowitz," which featured "weird and wacky" comedy and novelty songs, has been running "best of" programs in the weeks following the death of the program's founder and host, Robert Baron, in August.

Nathan Judson, Baron's longtime friend, now the keeper of Baron's huge archives of recorded music and the man who on the show played the role of sidekick and phone-answerer Nathan Detroit, said the decision to end the run "seems like the right thing to do with Moskowitz gone." The final show will be at noon Saturday on KSER-FM (90.7), the Everett-based community radio station that had been the most recent home for the show.

Judson said he'll be playing "the songs that were staples of the show for 25 years. ... I am also hoping to hear one more time from all of the listeners. I plan on attempting to speak with each personally to thank them for their support, since I wasn't able to during the show immediately following Robert's death."

But the Moskowitz legacy may not be gone for good. Judson said he'd like to do another show down the road, perhaps in another time slot. "It is important to get some separation from the original," he said. Bruce Wirth, KSER's general manager, said he, too, is interested in doing a comedy show with Judson if the right time can be worked out.

The loss of the Moskowitz show will be felt by KSER in multiple ways, including fundraising. The show was one of KSER's stronger performers during pledge drives, and KSER happens to be starting its fall campaign next month with its most ambitious goal ever, $50,000. "It's going to be a challenge without Moskowitz," Wirth said, adding that he hopes Moskowitz fans will continue with the station that provided a home for the show.

In the meantime, Moskowitz friends and fans can keep in contact through a Yahoo user group, "MusicWithMoskowitzListeners"; Judson said he'll check in frequently with updates on future shows.

The end of the Moskowitz show raises an interesting question about local radio: Which are the longest-running regularly scheduled programs? Individual hosts and DJs have long tenures, as do certain formats on specific stations. But radio doesn't have many regularly scheduled shows in the sense that TV does. Nationally, the Metropolitan Opera and "Music and the Spoken Word" broadcasts featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir have had decadeslong runs on radio. Locally, the longevity title for current shows may be held by "The Scandinavian Hour," heard at 9 a.m. Saturday on KKNW-AM (1150). It has been running for more than 40 years.

In other radio notes:

With the end of the Moskowitz program, KSER will be expanding the rockabilly show "Pull the String," which will start at noon Saturdays.

Matt Case, who had been evening host on the now-departed KLSY-FM, has been named producer of the "Fitz in the Morning" show on KKWF-FM (100.7).

Writer Seymour Hersh is the guest on "Weekday" at 9 a.m. today on KUOW-FM (94.9).

KING-FM (98.1) presents a live performance by the Seattle Symphony and pianist Barry Douglas at 7:30 p.m. today.

Tangent Trio performs on "Sonarchy" at midnight Saturday on KEXP-FM (90.3).

Lizz Sommars' guests on "Conversations" at 6 a.m. Sunday on KISW-FM (99.9), KBSG-FM (97.3) and KKWF-FM include Sherry Sullivan, author of a book on people leaving corporate America, "The Opt Out Revolt."

The All-Star Big Band concert at Centrum's Jazz Port Townsend is featured on Jim Wilke's "Jazz Northwest" 1 p.m. Sunday on KPLU-FM (88.5).

University of Washington President Mark Emmert takes listener calls on "Weekday" at 9 a.m. Wednesday on KUOW-FM.

P-I reporter Bill Virgin can be reached at 206-448-8319 or billvirgin@seattlepi.com.

Bill Virgin's Radio Beat in he Seattle P-I
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby wireless-dude » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm

I used to listen time permitting to Moskowitz show on a number of different stations over the years, but like many of us unless you have the time and place you can't always be a regular listener-the times I did listen, I did enjoy the show-sometimes a good laugh--sorry to hear of the man behind the name passing--I work saturdays and was not available to lend an ear to the last broadcast-did any of you good folks record it for the masses??? if so let me and others know--Thanks!!
wireless-dude

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News