Bob Rivers Out at KZOK

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Bob Rivers Out at KZOK

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 am

This is pretty huge news out of Seattle as it appears Bob Rivers morning show contract with KZOK will not be renewed and he (and the 11 person staff morning team) are off the air as of yesterday. Gone from the web site too, of course.
Bob was reportedly the highest paid morning host in the market and, even though he pulled the numbers to back it, just was too expensive for CBS to continue.
Rumors are strong that he'll resurface at all talk KIRO FM but not very likely with his team in tow (again, too pricey).
They all had a pretty good ride and a real sweet gig.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Bob Rivers Out at KZOK

Postby Slip Q » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:43 am

Look for the same thing to happen in Vancouver and other cities. Get rid of the big ticket, big dollar multi-person morning shows and replace
them with PPM friendly more music morning shows with some $30k a year schmoe holding down the fort. Screw the listeners, but keep those
shareholders happy. What a concept. Who'll be the first to try this, the ratings challenged Corus or Astral? Rogers has some pricey talent too,
why not make Jack totally Jockless?

Going from a Mercedes in the morning to a used AMC Pacer didn't seem to hurt NW.
Slip Q
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 am

That's an insult to the Pacer :wink:
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:31 am

I'm curious as to why anyone would still listen to commercial radio these days, outside of traffic reports?

Anyone? :?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 am

I listened to KZOK only because of the Bob Rivers show.
I had become jaded years ago with, and due to, pretty much everything else available out there so this one had given me a glimmer of hope that all was not lost with the concept of "personality radio"
Bob and his crew were funny and smart; not in the NPR style of smart where I generally feel a bit intellectually excluded but more like a part of the conversation. You can bet I will follow him where he goes as will a very significant Seattle audience. Corp heads will soon regret this decision (if, in fact, the decision was theirs; rumors swirl that it was Bob who said no thanks).
Well, there is still Radio 4 from Britain on line. I'm hearing that radio in England is still doing some pretty remarkable things.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Corp heads will soon regret this decision (if, in fact, the decision was theirs; rumors swirl that it was Bob who said no thanks).

That's a good point neumann, but I think many of us have been in the position where managment has 'made me an offer that I have no option but to refuse'...
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I listen my fav station in :bag: Hawaii. That's about it.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:44 pm

This was on Bob's website this morning, it's now on you tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnUxjE7X ... r_embedded
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News