Manitoba DX Question With Regards to California

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Manitoba DX Question With Regards to California

Postby Yamahammer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi everybody, this is my first post on this board!

My question specifically is what suggestions anybody has with regards to a most likely chance of logging a station from California, I am in Winnipeg. I am going to assume that the best time of day would be just before sunrise in Manitoba.

Any suggestions, thanks in advance!
Yamahammer

Re: Manitoba DX Question With Regards to California

Postby jon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:27 pm

A lot depends on whether you have a directional antenna.

First of all, best time of day (except where noted below) would be the middle of night, though nailing down an ID is more difficult then because so many stations run syndicated or network programming overnights.

KFI-640 in Los Angeles may be your best bet. Looking at the NRC Pattern Book, I'd say the following California stations that I regularly hear here in Edmonton are also worth trying:
  • KFBK-1530 in Sacramento looks possible, though you may have "null out" (position the antenna or radio if it has an internal antenna) WCKY in Cincinnati.
  • KNX-1070 in Los Angeles, if you can null out the smaller stations in the U.S. Midwest
  • KTRB-860 in San Francisco would be quite tricky. You have have to catch them on Day Pattern, before sunset their time, but after sunset in Saskatoon, when CBKF-2 switches to a Night Pattern that sends very little signal in your direction. And there is still CJBC-860 to worry about, though they should null out nicely with a directional antenna
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Yamahammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a directional loop that works rather well.

I think I'll start with KFI-640 in Los Angeles as the only other station I've logged on that frequency is WOI in Iowa.

Second choice will be KNX-1070 in Los Angeles as I should be able to pretty much null stations WTSO in Wisconsin and KSSK in Minnesota.

KTRB-860 would be tough because of KOA-850 in Denver and CJBC-860 in Toronto. Never caught Saskatoon on 860 due to the Toronto station.

Also, does anybody have any ideas for stations in far northern California such as Eureka that might offer an opportunity?

Thnaks again!
Yamahammer

Postby drmusic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:12 pm

I once picked up San Francisco's KGO 810 in Regina, using just a whip antenna. Probably about 5 in the afternoon.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Yamahammer wrote:
Also, does anybody have any ideas for stations in far northern California such as Eureka that might offer an opportunity?

Thnaks again!

For Northern California, I'd try for KGOE 1480 in Eureka, It used to be a regular when I lived in Calgary (in the days when the station was KRED). At that time there was little or no interference
from CKER in Edmonton (which is no longer on AM).

Good luck!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Yamahammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Got KFI-640 tonight in my garden shed (heater is on!) using my old Sanyo RP8100 and even without the loop antenna!

Thanks everyone, now to try for others...
Yamahammer

Postby Yamahammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Got KNX-1070 as well. Sorry if I sound excited!
Yamahammer

Postby jon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 am

I know how you feel. Figured I'd never hear KFI-640 beside local CHED-630.

But just had to get the right equipment. For my noisy (50KW transmitters and tons of electronic devices in neighbouring homes) environment, the Sangean HDR-18 is the only radio I can rely on for DX. Works fine even in the basement.

I didn't suggest San Francisco's KNBR-680 or KGO-810 because your local stations on those frequencies are listed as 24/7.

As for up near Eureka in California, I have heard KQMS-1670 in Redding. New call letters and format: News/Talk. But still 1000 watts at night. Worth trying in the middle of the night, perhaps nulling out WOZN in Madison, Wisconsin, but also between Wisconsin sunset and Redding sunset when KQMS is still on 10KW.

As for KTRB, worth a try after CJBC has been in daylight long enough for them to fade out in the morning, but while all or most of the path to Modesto is in darkness. If KOA is a problem, I think you might try shopping for a more selective radio. Worst I get on the Sangean is occasional slop from Calgary stations that are pumping the equivalent of 100KW in my direction.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns