When CFUN signed off Sunday nights

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

When CFUN signed off Sunday nights

Postby jon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm

People who never even knew what DX was, let alone heard the "word", knew about WING. I overheard kids in high school talking about doing their homework late Sunday night, and suddenly realizing they were listening to WING, not CFUN. They liked what they heard but got curious, switched to what they thought was CHQM gone crazy and ended up hearing KCPX in Salt Lake City.

Both stations (WING and KCPX) sounded great to my ear. Just saw this WING chart so I thought even a few non-DX'ers in the crowd would appreciate it. I've talked to DX'ers from Florida to Vancouver who all say the same thing: from the 1960s well into the 1970s, if CFUN was off the air after midnight Sunday night, WING was the only station on 1410 until the first East Coast stations started signing on just before 3 a.m. Pacific time. Killer signal, too, for their measly 5000 watts.

jon
Advanced Member

Re: When CFUN signed off Sunday nights

Postby BossRadio » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm

a stable of personalities who became known as WING's "Lively Guys"

:sign5: Why do I hear SCTV all over that ?
Great early sixties chart and jockshot Jon! The perfect buttoned-down,pre-Drake. old-school morning man. "Hi-Ho, Hipsters,up and at 'em!" You know they just had to call him 'Sweet Lou'!
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Incredibly, I've found an air-check of the guy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY6Ys9PbgqE
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm

That aircheck is from 18 months before this chart: Tuesday, June 25, 1963, to be exact. Nice.

As for the WING chart, hard to believe that Chuck Berry was still charting hits nearly a year after the British Invasion had begun.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 am

Lots of neat pictures in that youtube clip Neumann .... I was struck by the racks in the back of the control room for carts.

In 1961 or so, that must have been some pretty high-zoot stuff rather than having to run spots from reel to reel tape.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

We were running carts when I was a part-time kid in '63 at C-JOY in Guelph - a station not known for stepping out into the newest technology. Problem was: a teeny piece of metal tape had to be stuck on the tape at the beginning of each spot/tune in order to interrupt the signal and fire/stop the sucker. When those things fell off the jock/op had to jump in there with force and get "mechanical" with them.

(Always had the Ampex 1201's and an Ampex 601 geared up and ready to go, though - just in case.)
pave
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns