WVON 1690 last night!

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

WVON 1690 last night!

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Eldon, thanks for pointing me at 1690. Reviewing my overnight recording I didn't hear CHTO (or maybe I did, see below) but I did hear a "1690 WVON" ID a half-dozen times and some intelligible English talk a couple of times. Fortunately WVON IDs often, as it didn't fade in for very long when it did fade in. This is my third Chicago station, and the two latest new-for-me W calls have been from Chicago (the previous was WBBM 780).

I heard a few top of the hour KFSG IDs but each was garbled. I didn't hear any other IDs behind it. KFSG was the signal which faded up to recognizable talk and music the most often.

At one top of the hour when I didn't hear KFSG I heard a "KDZZ" call instead. That's new for me too!

Only once did I hear what was clearly a C call but the letters were not distinct and it faded quickly. All that was clear was the C and the O, the middle two were not intelligible. If I didn't know CHTO was there I couldn't identify it. It could even be CJLO.

Sadly, tonight KFSG is dominant.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: WVON 1690 last night!

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
You are most welcome Toomas. Also congratulations on hearing WVON 1690 Chicago out there. I can get them quite often each night here with a fairly good signal but this is a lot closer to Chicago. However some nights I have gotten Montreal on 1690 quite strong and a few times I got confused for a bit whether it was CHTO 1690 Toronto or Montreal. Montreal has more of a college or university format with English quite a bit of the time. CHTO 1690 is Greek format most of the time but they do have English announcing around 8 PM Eastern Time for a few hours each weekday evening! At that distance it might have been CHTO or CJLO Montreal. The Montreal station on 1690 can put out quite a good signal west at times certainly to this area. All I know is I have heard CHTO 1690 about 3 AM a couple times in Langley City area about a year or more ago. Thats PST Time as well. I knew it was CHTO because of the music and Greek language but it was weak at times and a bit garbled. I double checked the programming on my Grace Wi-Fi Radio in Langley and sure enough it was them at the time. Good luck Toomas on getting a definite on one of these two Canadian Eastern stations!!!

So best of dx to you all, hope you continue to get some great stations in February 2013!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns