Awesome Pocket Radio!

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Awesome Pocket Radio!

Postby radio guy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:40 pm

... this AM/FM radio is AMAZING!

... bought it at the source where it's sold under the nexxtech brand. it's almost as small as a bic lighter! it's the smallest radio i've ever seen AND the most powerful. and the AM reception is INCREDIBLE! the night i bought it i scanned through the dial and almost every frequency was a new radio station and some frequencies had TWO STATIONS which you could hear independently depending on how the radio was positioned. tons of great talk stations out of the U.S. i've never heard before ...

... here's a picture:

... plus, it comes with a set of headphones and a neck strap AND: it only cost $14.95! wow! that's the least i've ever paid for portable radio before! on the downside, the FM reception isn't very good, but i'm more into AM anyway ...

... there's no question -- public radio is the best deal for entertainment bar none! where else can you get so much entertainment for free? :lol:
radio guy
Advanced Member

Re: Awesome Pocket Radio!

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks for the tip! I love the FM tuner in my iPod, but alas, no AM. This looks like a good addition.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Back in the early '70s, CHUM's News Director Dick Smyth had an AM radio that was an inch and a half by an inch and a half and a half inch thick.
It had a thumbwheel tuning dail and an on/off switch volume control and used a hearing aid like earpiece.
It also used hearing aid batteries.
It was the smallest radio receiver available at that time and it was expensive.
He never missed monitoring a newscast on the station.
Back then, of course, there was much less interference and most Toronto stations were 50 thousand watts
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 pm

I remember such a small radio ... in fact I even repaired it when a capacitor came loose. It was incredibly tightly packed ... this was in the days before integrated circuits.

Thanks for the tip about the small $15 radio. I'll have to give that one a try.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm

radio guy wrote:
... here's a picture:

:lol:

I went to the local "The Source" store looking for the radio that you described - The radio in the above image was not at the store. The only radio that was in the $14.95 price range was the following:

http://images.thesource.ca/images/Onlin ... 18004l.jpg

Could you give a model number along with the brand- Thanks. TS
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:I went to the local "The Source" store looking for the radio that you described - The radio in the above image was not at the store. The only radio that was in the $14.95 price range was the following:

http://images.thesource.ca/images/Onlin ... 18004l.jpg

Could you give a model number along with the brand- Thanks. TS

... here's a link to the item on the source's website: NEXXTECH AM/FM POCKET RADIO
radio guy
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks for responding with the link.

I searched locations on line. Although the Brentwood Mall (Burnaby) had 1 shown on the site. the store staff
said they were sold out. The only other available radio was in North Vancouver.

As these were shown on site as clearance items, who knows if they'll get any more in stock.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm

... if you can find one for fifteen bucks snatch it up while you can, Tape Splicer. i saw that this model used is going for $50 on amazon right now ...
radio guy
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:12 pm

What a great day for a "gilligan Tour" ! I called a couple of "The Source" stores and one of hem said they had one. I headed to the store in Park Royal.Mall. When I arrived they did not have what I was looking for. So I guess the only units to be had are from the "tooth fairy" or on ebay. at what ever the market will bare. If you have one of these little toys enjoy.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Got what appears to be the last one in Edmonton this afternoon. AM reception really is excellent, as the man says, but the buttons can be quite frustrating. Not sure if it is just coincidence, but I couldn't get the power button to turn on the radio until I pulled out the earphone jack (which I am running into a ghetto blaster).

Don't have any sunset maps, so I can't be sure whether they were on day or night power, but KYIZ-1620 in Renton, Washington, was very strong at 6:45 pm their time tonight. They are 10,000 watts, 1000 watts night, non-directional all the time. Simulcasting with a couple of other stations, and heard two legal IDs.

Likewise, at 7pm their time, KNTS-1680 Seattle in Spanish, though not quite as strong, and no legal ID heard. And KFSG-1690 Roseville, California, in Russian.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:08 pm

The closest I could find one in Greater Vancouver was at The Source on Sumas Way south of Abbotsford.

I grabbed two of the three they had, one for myself and one I'll get to Tape Splicer asap.

Being that close was a good excuse to head to Chilliwack to Carl's Jr for lunch!

The radio works great, I've never used bud phones, so they felt kinda funny ... I dug out the Sony headphones and the radio sounds great. KFBK was in nice and strong along with 660 News from Calgary,
CKBI 900 from Prince Alberta and CJWW 600 from The 'Toon.

Not a bad little radio for $15!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

I think it will be quite helpful, thanks to its digital display of frequencies, in quickly making sure I'm where I think I am on the analogue dial of the CCRadio-EP.

The two AAA batteries are rated for 20 hours of usage, and there is no simple way to attach an AC adapter.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns