Observations on NewCap Stations - CiSL and CHLG

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Observations on NewCap Stations - CiSL and CHLG

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:02 pm

We have been streaming CHLG here in Chilliwack as the station isn't on the telus system. and because of interference I can't pick the station up OTA. What I have noticed is that their play list sounds very much like what CiSL sounded like prior to the "soft and smooth" branding. Granted there are tunes I don't recognize but the bulk of the play list is CISL of old...with some CFMI thrown in for good measure. So the question; Is NewCap slowly creating an "oldies" station out of CHLG? They are calling the format "classic hits" but it sure sounds like "oldies" to me...
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Observations on NewCap Stations - CiSL and CHLG

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Correcting the branding phrase for CHLG; I should have had it read "Vancouver's Greatest Hits" .... that phrase gets them away from "classic rock" .... still sounds like CISL sort of....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:43 pm

I contacted CHLG and requested information about them being put on the Telus system.... I received the following email in responsehe email came within half an hour of my initial contact to there engineering department on Horseshoe Way in Richmond. . T

""Hello,

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I think LG104.3 is the only one of our three stations that is not on Telus TV. Telus decides on which stations to put up on their radio service and we have asked to have LG included in that lineup multiple times They have told us that they don’t have the space to add another channel right now but will add us if they find space for another radio channel.

As I Telus costumer I would be thankful if you called them up and asked to add LG104.3. We don’t pay to have our channels up so getting the request from a paying customer will I’m sure have more luck.

Thanks

Cody MacKay | Director of Engineering""
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Any thoughts on Larry's morning show on LG?
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:We have been streaming CHLG here in Chilliwack as the station isn't on the telus system. and because of interference I can't pick the station up OTA. What I have noticed is that their play list sounds very much like what CiSL sounded like prior to the "soft and smooth" branding. Granted there are tunes I don't recognize but the bulk of the play list is CISL of old...with some CFMI thrown in for good measure. So the question; Is NewCap slowly creating an "oldies" station out of CHLG? They are calling the format "classic hits" but it sure sounds like "oldies" to me...

TS ... Programmers or "Brand Managers" these days are scared shitless to use the word "Oldie" to brand heir station. They believe it makes it appear to advertisers that their station caters to old people. Yes, old people. The ones over 55. The people who actually grew up listening to the radio. The ones with disposable income. Oldies has been replaced by Classic Hits.

As for LG 104.3, the repetition was driving me crazy. Anytime I tuned in, usually while in the car, I'd hear Tainted Love, Hey Jude, Rasputin or I Love The Nightlife. I'm back to listening to my own tunes now and checking News 1130 for Traffic and News when I'm on the road.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

104.3 has a chance to make waves. Try a Huge playlist - hire some veterans and watch out. But NO. They play the approved *by those darn consultants* 450 songs and have people on Vancouver radio that could (he says politely) use some "seasoning".
Back in ancient days, you actually had to have some experience to have a shift in Vancouver. Radio, like all media, is undergoing a sea change.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 am

Blabbermouth wrote:Any thoughts on Larry's morning show on LG?

Larry's morning show with his co-host is no better or worse than any other morning show out there.... Traffic reports, weather. off beat story from the news, an interview with someone of interest - three songs in a row and any number of splitters between songs.

The chemistry he had with Willie worked because they fed off each other. I don't think you could get that chemistry back even if you put Larry and Willie back together because you won't have the exact situation that made their show work.

I think what we have on what ever radio station you care to mention is "formula radio" like a recipe from a cook book - two parts this , three parts that and stir well and simmer at a set temperature and hopefully your radio souffle turns out just right.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 am

I'm surprised by how quiet the launch of the station was. I'm wondering if anyone (other than people in the business) have noticed.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns