98.7 CKPM and their poor audio quality

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

98.7 CKPM and their poor audio quality

Postby Nighthawk » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Whenever I tune the dial to that station it has poor audio quality. Since the station was new I though maybe in time they would equalize the frequency response of the audio but it still sounds like crap. The sound has the symptoms of a low bit rate studio to transmitter link. Is that the case? Has anyone else noticed this? Honestly a 99 cent FM ipod transmitter from china would sound better than CKPM. Just another observation of mine of the lower mainland FM dial. FM is capable of better quality than that. It is one of the reasons I will not subject myself to parking the dial on that station.
Nighthawk

Re: 98.7 CKPM and their poor audio quality

Postby tuned » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 am

If Jim Pattison can't be bothered to maintain a stereo signal on CJJR what do you expect from a little fish like McBride?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 am

LOL I suppose you are right. Just had to get it off my chest. I just could not imagine going to such an expense and effort to run a station and have it sounding like a tin can. That is just me though I guess. Expensive certified transmitters and engineering and all these rest! ha ha But it sounds like a tin can? I have heard pirate stations put together with a few hundred dollars and they sound like gold compared to that 98.7
Nighthawk

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Speaking of pirates, here's a thought: Was the Bluegrass Pirate providing better service on 98.7? That's despite the listener needing to be in just the right spot to even hear it in Vancouver.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Greetings,

Yes Toomas the Bluegrass Pirate FM in Whatcom County does or did provide more consistent service and sounded pretty good audio quality on 98.7 to answer youir question. In parts of the Fraser Valley it was very good in fact in South Langley for example. From what I am reading here about CKPM things seem to be going downhill technically too for them.

All the best everyone! 73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns