Question from New Zealand re: CKOR

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Question from New Zealand re: CKOR

Postby xwdcatvb » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:45 pm

One of the NZ Radio DX League's members who lives just north of Auckland earlier this week grabbed a clear ID from CKOR/800 in Penticton... "E-Z Rock" plus a Canadian Tire commercial with a tag mentioning the Penticton Herald. This was at 12.26 am PST or 0826 UT/9.26 pm NZDT Tues 24 Nov.

His query is, "Would they really have been running just 500 watts?"

He'd been following music on the frequency recently, and had been expecting to ID it as CHAB in Moose Jaw, SK... nice surprise, and catch. Any info would be appreciated.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Re: Question from New Zealand re: CKOR

Postby jon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:00 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious, transmitter testing after midnight is legal, so it is theoretically possible that an engineer was testing the 10KW transmitter.

Another possibility based on experience with Westlock's station when they were on AM, is that the automated system that changes power (pattern in the case of Westlock) at sunrise and sunset failed, running the day power at that time of night.

fccinfo.com is pretty reliable, and they still list CKOR as non-directional day and night, with 10KW day and 500 watts night.

On the other hand, it is worth mentioning that CHAB's night pattern does not send very much signal towards New Zealand, so I could see CKOR being dominant with 500 watts.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Question from New Zealand re: CKOR

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:04 pm

CKOR did seem to reduce power tonight. In the Lower Mainland it was the dominant station (albeit fading in and out) until around 0150 UTC when it slowly became weaker. Then KINY became dominant around 0208 UTC and remained the stronger of the two. A half-hour later both were equal strength. I didn't hear a sudden change in strength for CKOR but the dominant station did change.

This observation doesn't answer the question. However, there have been times when CKOR has been the pest and I've asked myself the same question.

As I type, KINY owns 800 with CKOR barely audible beneath it.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns