CBK 50 Years Later

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

CBK 50 Years Later

Postby jon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:10 am

Next summer, it will 50 years since I first visited Edmonton on vacation. On that trip, on the car radio at high noon in Edmonton, CBK-540 in Watrous, Saskatchewan, was the strongest non-local station on the dial. Yes, even stronger than CFCW in Camrose.

That signal travelled 580 km.

At the time, DX'ing in Vancouver, CBK was always "all alone" on 540 whenever they were on the air. Obliterating everything else.

CBK is the most distant High Noon reception of a DX'er friend in Seattle, when I tipped him off one winter day in 2002, that I was hearing KEX from Portland here in Edmonton.

Last night, however, was a different story. Although CBK had a stronger signal than usual at 10:00 p.m., there was something else there. Positioning the radio to reduce CBK ("null") as much as possible, I heard 20 minutes of continuous Hot AC in excellent audio quality, most of it Spanish songs but I recognized the original English version of one current hit. Then into 3 minutes (before I tuned out) of ads in Spanish.

It was 150,000 watt XEWA in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns