Another Great Eastern Night

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Another Great Eastern Night

Postby jon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:42 pm

The sun has barely set and I'm getting a killer signal from Oldies-formatted CFRW-1290 Winnipeg. So, I think I can safely say it will be a great night for DX from the East. Or, more accurately, ESE.

Imagine my surprise as I'm listening at 5:15 p.m. Edmonton time to a great signal, to hear it disappear for a moment, and then come thundering in as they switched to Night pattern, with an even bigger push of power in my direction (Edmonton). Especially amazing when you realize that CFRW is only 10KW.

Great song selection, great air talent, live, and a nice variety of jingles and imaging. Didn't know (or care at the time) that they once ran WABC's MusicRadio jingle package, as they played one this afternoon, with CFRW calls, of course.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Another Great Eastern Night

Postby jon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Trivial joke of the day: I think CFRW, other than during fades, had a stronger signal on night pattern than W-14-40 (CKJR), despite the fact that I'm less than 50 miles from the 10KW CKJR transmitter. I'm still willing to bet it is a ground conducitivity problem in Wetaskiwin.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns