Mystery Tower Quiz #2

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Mystery Tower Quiz #2

Postby OnAir » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Close… however none of the antennas on this rooftop are for the transmission of signals “intended for off-air use by the general public”. The “tower” in the photo is actually a pipe supporting a four bay UHF antenna connected to a Marti system receiver, supplying remote feeds to the studios of both CBX and CHFA. The white object near the bottom of the pipe is a temporary installation of a diversity antenna being tested for remote TV feeds from microwave trucks.

Image Image

The transmitter site for CBX / CHFA’s nested FM is the Western Bank building, where the elevators were effected by the additional level of RF on the roof. Both transmitters were temporarily relocated to the CBC’s main transmission facility in Sherwood Park and will be moved back downtown once updating of the elevator equipment has be completed, possibly this summer. As a side note, the Western Bank building is also the location of both XM and Sirius Satellite’s terrestrial repeaters for the city.
OnAir

Postby jon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, that will teach me to draw conclusions from conversations I overhear among current and former CBC'ers at Edmonton Broadcasters Club luncheons!

Fabulous information and pictures, OnAir. It really is appreciated.

:oops:
jon
Advanced Member

Postby OnAir » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 am

No problem jon. I've been lurking for a while and am glad I could finally contribute.
OnAir

Previous

Return to As The Dial Turns