Mystery Tower Quiz #4

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Mystery Tower Quiz #4

Postby mightymouth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 am

Howaboutthat wrote:
jon wrote:Next week's Mystery Tower Quiz is in an Urban setting, as will be clearly apparent from the picture.

Its not going to be another support post disguised as a transmitter is it? ;)

Howabouttowers, that's for a totally different quiz. I think that Quiz includes a sub-section for support posts and support-hose, something the sanclanman knows all about. :mrgreen:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:33 am

I can't believe this has gone to 3 pages. If this was paper, we'd be boycotted by environmentalists! :evil3:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:37 am

Howaboutthat wrote:I can't believe this has gone to 3 pages. If this was paper, we'd be boycotted by environmentalists! :evil3:

I'm surprised Mr. Cleaver hasn't burst in to explain the difference between a tower and a support pole? :? Surely there must have been studies done on this? I know....quit calling you Surely! :wink:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 am

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you. :happy1:
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 am

Did you guys know that living near a tower can result in leukemia? I found this article from the Everett Herald on the Northwest Broadcasters site:
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200902 ... /702199881
Another one for the goofy books.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 am

Uh oh... this could get ugly!
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 am

Dan Sys wrote:Did you guys know that living near a tower can result in leukemia? I found this article from the Everett Herald on the Northwest Broadcasters site:
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200902 ... /702199881
Another one for the goofy books.

The article says that Snohomish County Council voted against Leukemia 3-2, so residents are safe now.

The article also says that KRKO is moving from 1380 to 1520. Assuming that is true, that will never work so long as Oregon City remains on the same frequency with 50KW day and 15KW nights. In the mid-1960s, as KYMN, they had a killer signal 24/7 into Vancouver, and were my favourite station during that KYMN period. Robin Mitchell got his Top 40 start there, up against The Real Don Steele on KISN. Robin claims that he got the job while still in High School, as KYMN had given up trying to beat The Real.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Jon.... KRKO is not moving. The proposed 1520 station will be a sister for KRKO (licensed to Snohomish). I'm a bit confused about this as the FCC site still lists this as an application, however I'm sure that the folks at KRKO must have gotten the inside word that it was approved otherwise they wouldn't be constructing new towers for the facility:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=160891
What's even more confusing is the proposed power for this new station. One application has them being 50KW's(days)-10KW's(nights) and another application says 20KW's(days)-50KW's(nights), plus 50KW's for critical hours. I agree with your comments about 1520 in Oregon City (which is now KGDD and Spanish). That station still has a killer signal up here at nights and I'm sure it will cause problems for the new Snohomish station on the same frequency.

As a sidenote, this Monday (Feb. 23) KRKO 1380 increases their power from 5KW's(fulltime) to 34kw's(days)-50KW's(nights) and will be tweaking their News-Talk format to include a lot more Sports.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to As The Dial Turns