Antennas and Radios

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Antennas and Radios

Postby mightymouth » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:Hi Everyone, !

If there is one guy who would know the answer to this it's you Eldon-Mr.CFAY guy. My cousin lives in the boonies in the B.C. Interior, and can pick up a couple of FM staions on his cheapo Radio Shack radio/cd player unit, but has a Hell of a time picking up any AM radio stations. Is this normal, and is there an inexpensive, and easy way of rigging up an AM antenna? He says the FM's (3 of them) come in clear as a bell with the antenna that came with the unit, but the AM's, that are scratchy on his car radio, are hopeless on his home unit. I told him, I didn't know what he should do, (wire coat hanger?) but I'd ask on the board. Any ideas for an AM antenna?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

AM Antennas

Postby jon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:57 am

mightymouth wrote:Any ideas for an AM antenna?

There are just so many RF interference problems, even in seemingly remote locations, that I have become a big fan of tuned loop antennas. Tuned means the antenna rejects powerful signals and noise on other frequencies than the one you want to hear, by adjusting some knob to the frequency you want to hear. Loops are available in all shapes and sizes, from ferrite cores to "air" cores (e.g. - box loop), but all share one powerful advantage: they are directional. Again, like Tuned, that lets you "null out" most interference.

All that said, it may make more sense to buy a better AM radio with built-in antenna. Because, no matter how good the antenna, it needs a selective, sensitive and relatively hi-fi AM receiver to get much of interest. Plus, most AM receivers don't even have a place to attach an antenna.

If, by some miracle, your cousin has a decent AM receiver with an external antenna connection. And has no RF interference around. Then, and only then, would I recommend the simplest of long wire antennas: 10 feet or so of lamp cord. If the receiver has TWO AM antenna terminals, it would be good to figure out which one is intended as Ground, and actually connect it to a good Ground source. The screw on a power outlet. The metal "hook" on a rotary dial telephone. (You did say he was out in the boondocks)
jon
Advanced Member

Re: AM Antennas

Postby radiofan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:01 am

jon wrote:

There are just so many RF interference problems, even in seemingly remote locations, that I have become a big fan of tuned loop antennas.

And here I thought yee-haw, howaboutthat and kat were the only ones here that picked on fellow members.

I'll try not to interfere so much :P

RF
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: AM Antennas

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:22 am

radiofan wrote:
jon wrote:

There are just so many RF interference problems, even in seemingly remote locations, that I have become a big fan of tuned loop antennas.

And here I thought yee-haw, howaboutthat and kat were the only ones here that picked on fellow members.

I'll try not to interfere so much :P

RF

Budda-da-bump!
( The drum after Henny (RF) Youngman's line.)
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

tuned

Postby jon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:26 am

Funny, but I wondered if "tuned" would have something to say, completely ignoring the RF/Radiofan reference!
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CFSI 107.9 testing 1,2,3,4

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am

mightymouth wrote:
Any ideas for an AM antenna?

Maybe the reason cousin Elmer can't hear any AM stations in the Interior is because they've all flipped to FM.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: tuned

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 am

jon wrote:Funny, but I wondered if "tuned" would have something to say, completely ignoring the RF/Radiofan reference!

Budda-da-bump!
( The drum after Shecky (Jon) Greene's line.)
:shock:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

AM

Postby jon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:56 am

Dan Sys wrote:
mightymouth wrote:
Any ideas for an AM antenna?

Maybe the reason cousin Elmer can't hear any AM stations in the Interior is because they've all flipped to FM.

Or maybe he is looking for the Top 40 music on 630 (CHED), 730 (CKLG), 1410 (CFUN), 890 (WLS), 950 (KJR), 1300 (KOL), 1510 (KGA)....anyway, you get the idea.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby VE7ROX » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:08 am

mightymouth wrote: [/quote] "rigging up an AM antenna? Any ideas for an AM antenna?" [/quote]

kat wrote: [/quote] "that ROX guy" [/quote] yes, out on a day pass here, but they will be coming http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/view ... parm/page/

I wonder if anybody knows of antennas such as this one made by the C-Crane Company: http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-anten ... tenna.aspx This is a Twin Coil Ferrite AM Antenna and was designed by Chris Justice of the C.Crane Company. Here is a quote from the "Description" part of the web page describing it:

"If you have a favorite AM radio station, but experience poor reception, the Twin Coil Ferrite ® AM Antenna may be just what you’re looking for. This patented AM antenna doubles daytime reception, dramatically reduces nighttime fade out, and can even eliminate heavy static and distortion-it's a radio accelerator! Connect to your radio to hear distant low-power stations with amazing clarity. Works with any radio, from portables to home stereos, and includes a unique wireless ferrite stick for use with receivers without antenna connectors."

They even have one that is less than half the price of the above, called the Terk AM Advantage. It is a loop sitting 9.5 inches high. Pictorial here: http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-anten ... ntage.aspx

I bought one of these from the same place (C.Crane), called the CCRadio: http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radi ... index.aspx
Last edited by VE7ROX on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
RoX ToX in the dialog BoX . . . Bye, Jim VE7ROX
VE7ROX Website: http://ve7rox.spaces.live.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Law Won:....http://tinyurl.com/2gbzvn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VE7ROX
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi again everyone, Some of the comments on this thread or topic are just great!!!! Good going Dan, right-on. To the very few uninformed and out-in-the-dark radio west members who might be chasing their tails in circles I will elaborate about signal checks and field strength readings or monitoring new and weak radio stations!!!!! For many years, in fact probably since the early days of radio (in the l920s) people have tried listening for distant and weak radio stations, its called DXing! Many people still do this including quite a few Radio West members. There are radio clubs that specialize in this, some are for shortwave, some are for Am and some are even for distant Fm and TV dxing. There are thousands of people throughout the world that do this. To them its no stranger than having a peanut butter and jam sandwich. In addition to all that its customary and really mandatory for new radio stations to do signal checks and field strength meter readings to determine their coverage map signal pattern. For commercial stations its really important so that they can determine how well they get out for listeners and especially potential advertising clients. If they get a signal out beyond their normal coverage area that can help to get more listeners and get more advertisers. Remember commercial radio stations need all the sponsors they can get, you need the moolla to stay afloat in business! I know of at least two USA small independently owned commercial Am Stations that have gotten additional advertisers because of listenership outside their normal coverage area. With the internet and streaming audio many small AM daytime only (over-the-air) USA stations are streaming their audio all-night with some spots to increase advertising reach. Even non-commercial radio stations like maximum reach outside their coverage pattern for listener supported donations.!!! I have built portable loop antennas and fm antennas for long distance and weak reception of radio stations since l978. I also do DXing as a hobby and enjoy it a lot! We have sold antennas to quite a few radio stations throughout the USA and Canada as well as many individuals throughout North America. One radio dx club in England even lists us on their website, we did not request that, some member who knew about us mentioned it to club hqs.. I found out about it and surprised me. I don*t randomly go willy-nilly all over the place listening for radio stations! I leave that to guys driving and speeding over the roads and byways with rap music blasting in their vehicles and their eardrums and switching radio channels as they drive. What I do is pick specific locations that seem to be good for weak signal checking with not much noise or electrical interference, particularly nearby to this location. Its not a careless random anything will do location type of thing. I will try receiving signals if I happen to be meeting someone at a restaurant or having a meal break there. Doing field strength or signal strength readings is an important part of the technical side of radio broadcasting . VE7ROX has a job in which he travels all around the North Shore and other parts of Vancouver, he is able to do signal checks at various locations because of this. He is also a licensed radio amateur and radio broadcast technician so the subject of distant radio checks and new radio station coverage interests him a lot. Other radio west members do it for similar reasons. Mighty Mouth thanks for your comments, regarding your cousin's reception problems I would also suggest a loop antenna, tuned or otherwise, we have built portable ferrite loop antennas since l978 as well as air-core loop antennas. The air-core loop antennas are bigger and bulkier. Generally we have built and sold the smaller ferrite core ones. Also another unusual antenna that seems to work for AM antennas is a metal grapefruit or Orange Juice Can that you wind number l8 or 22 insulated wire around, maybe 40 or 50 turns and hook them up to a co-ax 50 ohm feedline then connect it to the wire antenna terminals on your radio. If you don't have antenna terminals or jack on the radio you can wrap several loops of wire around the radio and connect it to the shield and hot lead on the feedline. It was used by a friend of mine at remote logging camps in B.C. and it worked well for him. The wire that you wind around the juice can has to be insulated and it works best with citrus juice in the can. Apple juice does not have enough acid content to enhance radio reception enough. Anyone who wants further detailled info about improving their radio reception can write me at Eldon Electronics , Box 7l3, Port Coquitlam, B.C. V3B 6H9. We are a very small company so give us time to answer your request. What Jon said about Loop antennas and longwire AM reception is absolutely true Mighty Mouth. Thanks Jon and VE7ROX for all the info about improving radio reception on AM. Jon is a veteran dxer and helped me get into radio dxing seriously way back in l967 when he lived in Burnaby. I really appreciated all the tips and suggestions Jon gave me back then. C.Crane Company out of Fortuna (VE7Rox) gave the website has good radios and antennas for improving AM Reception as well, as Canadians it will cost you a bit more to order from them with exchange etc....
Thanks RADIOFAN and SKY Valley Radio for the signal check and technical info about CFSI.

Just though I'd start another paragaph space for one Radio West members reading ease. Last night I bought a new multi-band radio at THE SOURCE (Radio Shack) in Langley. I wanted a smaller digital AM/Fm/Shortwave portable for long distance travelling on train this summer. Have another residence near Cobourg, Ontario and also friends in Calgary so wanted something lighter for taking with me. I bought the Grundig G5 and was very surprised by the results I got last night and today with it. By the way The Source has a sale on a lot of the Grundig Radios till June 24th including the larger Grundig S350DL which I have. Its much heavier than the G5 but has good sensitivity on FM, AM and shortwave bands too. The Grundig G5 is an amazing little radio though, more sensitivity across the FM band than the S350DL. In fact for the first time I got CHWK 89.5 (THE HAWK)-Chilliwack's Rock station at the apartment here with a listenable signal. None of my other radios would pick it up and I assumed you could not hear them in Langlely City. However the Grundig G5 got the signal quite well. It also picked up various weaker Seattle FMs etc. which are hard to get here. The really good news is that it got CFSI l07.9 with a local signal strength at the Langley City McDonalds parking lot at Number l0 and Fraser Hwy. It even got the signal inside. I first tried the radio late last night while we stopped in for a midnight snack. When we got back to the apartment it came in stronger on the balcony and even inside the apartment but with a much weaker signal. I got the CFSI station ID complete with mailing address and E-Mail and was talking to VE7ROX on the phone, he heard it on my cell phone. We were both surprised it came in so well, just like CFSI was in Langley, at the McDonalds parking lot!!!! Yes RadioFan I*ll have to try for CFSI up the hill in Murrayvile, there is an excellent location with low noise and good elevation for Am and FM reception In Langley Township in Murrayville. I*m glad you heard CFSI in Langlely RadioFan. No I won*t breathe a word to the Kat!!!! By the way Radio West members be careful with some of those vicious Kats out there, they might bite you and give you rabies!!! I love kitty cats myself but we have one in Al Anderson Park in Langley City which we have nicknamed 'Killer Kitty' , she wants you to pet her, think she owns the picnic table and then proceeds to bite you! Over and out for now, more later!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Wow, great info, I'll pass it on and see how he does.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Eldon.....how much was the Grundig G5? I've checked it out on a few websites and the average price seems to be in the $140.00 range. I need a "deck listening" replacement for my trusty old GE Superadio which has seen better days.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:04 am

Hi Dan, Yes I was just using the Grundig G5 tonight to listen to several stations and do some airchecks on it. By the way CFSI was coming in with choral and vocal music last night. It was quite unique sounding music. I also heard a bit of them earlier this evening on the apt. balcony. For some reason l07.9 seems quite quiet later this evening to now. I did hear clear station IDs and addresses from the test broadcasts. The Grundig G5 is available from The Source (Radio Shack) for a sale price of $l34.95 plus taxes which totals to $l5l.l9. I just got it last night at the store near the Langley Wal-Mart plaza. This Grundig radio is much smaller than my Grundig S350DL which is also quite sensitive across the FM Band, AM and shortwave. I've had that one for two years. Ann (Mrs. C-FAY ) got it for me at christmas. The source has 5 or 6 Portable Grundig multi-band radios on sale till June 24,2009. The Grundig S350DL is on for 89.95 plus taxes. Its bigger though and does not have Single Sideband Capability like the G5 . I've taped off it though doing airchecks with good results. The G-5 is smaller , can fit on the palm of your hand and is much lighter weight. It also has a line-out jack and a headphone jack. Works on 4 double A batteries as well as the AC adaptor that comes with it. It has a lot of memory storage for radio stations like 700 memories. It works very well on both AM and FM bands, is sensitive on both and picks up stations I can't hear on my other radios. It seems more sensitive than the GE Superadio on the FM band, perhaps a little more sensitive on AM. For example in this noisy apartment with appliances and computers I got KXL 750 at l2 Noon today (with a fair signal), also brings in KWDB lll0 Oak Harbor , Washington quite well at the apt. here. Definitely stronger than my other 3 radios here. KWDB is a 500 watt daytime only station, closest USA daytimer to this area. I still have my old Radio Shack Realistic Long Range TRFl2-655 that I bought in the l970s. Its an AM only portable that is very sensitive on the band. The G5 is smaller but its AM sensitivity is on par with the TRF l2-655 which is more sensitive than the GE Superadio on AM. Unfortunately it hasn't been sold for years (except used) and does not include the FM band. The Grundig G5 covers l50 Khz. longwave to about 30 Mhz. Shortwave including the entire AM band and all shortwave bands. Seems fairly sensitive on shortwave also. Conditions were not very good on 74l5 khz. (4l Meters) tonight when I tried for WBCQ Monticello-Maine, just bits and pieces of the signal, the other Grundig got nothing. The G5 also has an external antenna jack for shortwave and I think FM. Quite a well written manual and a decent size digital readout for frequency, time and all world time zones. There are probably a few features I missed but that should give you a pretty good idea about it Dan. It really brings the hillbilly pirate station in well on 98.7 at night. I*m listening to it right now. That one is from the states. Also there is a strong open carrier in this area coming in from the south (probably USA) on l370 khz. Am. I get it day and night on all the radios but the G5 really brings it in. Its right on l370 khz.. I'm going to try for CFSI l07.9 again about l2:30 AM . If the station is using different power levels like Sky Valley mentioned that could be the reason why its not audible at times when they actually on-air! In summary anyone thinking about a lighter but sensitive to weak signal portable that covers a wide frequency range I strongly recommend the Grundig G5 over other portables especially since its on sale now. I think the regular price is over $l65 with taxes.. Dan you can E-mail if you like, radiofan has my e-mail address and cell phone numbers, I think I gave you my cell phone numbers when you lived in Aldergrove. With the new bridge up and running I*ll probably make it to Maple Fridge more often. Haven't been on it yet though. Take care and good listening!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:41 am

Thanks for the detailed rundown Eldon. Definitely sounds like a machine worth investing in. I need a good radio at home that can receive the same signals that I can often hear in the car radio, ie-the other day I had CIQC 99.7 (The River) from Campbell River loud & clear on the car radio. No sign of them on any of my equipment when I got home (including the GE Superradio).

It really brings the hillbilly pirate station in well on 98.7 at night. I*m listening to it right now. That one is from the states

I can't believe these guys (from Bellingham) are still on the air. I first heard them at least 2 years ago back in Aldergrove. Apparently the FCC does not clamp down on pirates anymore like they used to.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Antennas and Radios

Postby wireless-dude » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:42 am

Hello Everyone--I do once in a while get a chance to get involved with the board other than just reading the great day to day stuff---anyhow as far as AM distance reception goes I use a terk advantage that I got years ago with one of my older GE Superradios--put the two of em on a cheapie wood turntable(houseware kinda thing I found at IKEA) and it works well--just too bad the AM band is so crapped up with too many stations qrm etc.--guess I miss the 60's--some fun dx then!!
wireless-dude

Next

Return to As The Dial Turns