Tonight's Aurora = Great DX?

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Tonight's Aurora = Great DX?

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm going to have to cobble up a Yagi for 6 metres and give it a try before too long.

Last cycle peak, I had a ball working 10 metre AM with my broadcast audio processing chain and several different former studio mikes feeding a nice little Viking Ranger and a pair of 3-500Zs. That was a blast.

Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Anotherwpgguy wrote:Last cycle peak, I had a ball working 10 metre AM with my broadcast audio processing chain and several different former studio mikes feeding a nice little Viking Ranger and a pair of 3-500Zs.

That's what she said!
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 am

Neumann ... I think that little Viking's name was Broomhilda .... try saying that in the throes of passion!
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:23 pm

wpgguy - a nice 6 or 7 element antenna (rotatable) for 50 mHz will do a nice job regardless of propagation mode. During the 'middle' of the aurora, when aurora-Es ("Auroral E") can be present, the propagated path is due east or due west. That means there is a regular opening between south VE4 and south VE7. CBWFT ch 3 & ch 4 Brandon used be the perfect indicator as are the two fulltime 6 meter beacons in VE4 - one in Winnipeg and north towards the lakes. Out here, we have a full-time VE7 beacon on 6meters and previously CBC-TV ch 2 in Vancouver or KOMO ch 4 in Seattle would have been easy catches for you as indicators of auEs. The prairie provinces are ideally located to work auEs. Pointed east there is probably an auEs path to VE3 or VE2 perhaps??? Likewise for working pure aurora (aurora scatter). The first 'half' of the opening, all stations with propagation point NE. When the middle occurs that is when auEs can be present. If not, 6 meters & up go quiet until the 2nd half of the opening takes place, then everyone points northeast to work stations with propagation.

Last night was poor to fair on 6 meters and calling CQ in CW on 144 mhz yielded nothing. On 6 meters: the VE7 beacon in Prince George was feebly audible, worked a few VE6's in the Edmonton area, heard the VE6 beacon In Grand Prairie very weaklyfrom time to time, worked a couple of W7's in Spokane, a W7 in Montana, a few incompletes, no sign at all of any auEs and that was it. Maybe tonight condx will improve???
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Anotherwpgguy wrote:I'm going to have to cobble up a Yagi for 6 metres and give it a try before too long.

Last cycle peak, I had a ball working 10 metre AM with my broadcast audio processing chain and several different former studio mikes feeding a nice little Viking Ranger and a pair of 3-500Zs. That was a blast.

I looked at this post last night and thought it was the herbal cigarettes that made it seem like jibberish to me.
Unfortunately, it's not any better today.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Its a language of a secret society Paul ... we have a special handshake too, and often we are accused by conspiracy theory wackos of having societal roots which are traceable to the Knights Templar.

Can world domination be far away?

We'll be forcing the enslaved populace to renounce their Gods, and pray to the glow of a properly dipped and loaded plate of a vacuum tube.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Anotherwpgguy wrote:Its a language of a secret society Paul ... we have a special handshake too, and often we are accused by conspiracy theory wackos of having societal roots which are traceable to the Knights Templar.

Can world domination be far away?

We'll be forcing the enslaved populace to renounce their Gods, and pray to the glow of a properly dipped and loaded plate of a vacuum tube.

AWG

You forgot to mention that all the good jobs will go to people who can solder. A skill I never really mastered. Not with solid state components anyway.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 pm

I admit that technology has left me behind .... SMD is too much for me. Up till that time though, I was competant.

My favourite era was the 1, 2, and 5 watt carbon resistor time period.

I learned to solder by watching my dad use an iron that seemed to me must surely have weighed five pounds and was heated on the gas stove element.

By the time I was in garde 9, I was working at the local appliance store on the bench fixing radios and TVs when a Weller solering gun was the norm.

Jon .... too bad, no "real job" for you, so start selling off that 45 and LP collection a few at a time so make sure you can eat.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Another Aurora alert just came out. But only a Yellow Alert this time, which translates into a 50-60% probability of Aurora visible in Edmonton (ignoring the issue of clouds).
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 pm

We have a full moon here, does that count?

Would be a great night to listen to the Wolfman on The Mighty X!!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Hard to say if we'll see a repeat of last night's performance tonight, as there is currently no sign of Aurora, but the University just issued a Yellow Alert for Aurora tonight.

At 11 p.m. last night, the Aurora display was really quite amazing! Not sure about DX though.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 am

We have a full moon here, does that count?

You can see a full moon anytime of the day or night on the stage at The Alder Inn in beautiful downtown Aldergrove. :groovy:
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:09 am

Y'mean this kind? :pottytrain2:
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 am

Yeah, that's the one Slowhand! Better get down there as I hear Aurora will be on stage this afternoon.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Red Alert for Aurora was just issued by the University of Alberta for tonight. Likely the real deal, as AM DX conditions were very weird a couple of hours ago. Get stations in one direction but not in another, then half an hour later, it would change directions.
jon
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to As The Dial Turns