The Music Returns to WLS Chicago + WABC

Radio news from the USA

The Music Returns to WLS Chicago + WABC

Postby jon » Sat May 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Well, OK, for just one day, as it does every year, on Memorial Day.

WLS was always a fabulous music station, from 1960 until around 1990 when it went Talk/News. If you could get past Victoria's CJVI-900, WLS on 890 was there with a solid signal at night most nights of the year.

This Monday, it is all Live, except for the one hour special that starts things off at 5 a.m. Central, 4 a.m. Mountain, and 3 a.m. Pacific. Streaming at wlsam.com.

Here is the scheule in Central time (subtract two for Pacific, one for Mountain). A one hour special 5-6 AM, Chuck Knapp 6-9 AM, Larry Lujack and Tommy Edwards 9-noon, Fred Winston noon-3, Bill Bailey 3-6, John Landecker 6-10 and Jeff Davis 10 to midnight.

And, if that is not enough, you can also heard New York City radio at its finest. "WABC Rewound 2008 is coming to a radio or PC near you on Monday, May 26 from 6 AM to 6 PM. If you're not in the New York area, you can listen live at wabcradio.com. Lots of great WABC memories this year, plus an hour of Bobaloo on WABC-FM (from 1968), and an hour of Imus on WNBC (from 1972 and '73)." All times are Eastern. Subtract three hours for Pacific, two hours for Mountain.

Thanks for reelradio.com for bringing these to my attention.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 26, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks for posting the links. I tuned into lujack and edwards and was disappointed. Lots of dead air and unfunny "jokes". I still have some great airchecks from Lujack in the 70s but listening to his outsized ego in 2008 just isn't fun. You really can't go home.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon May 26, 2008 11:52 am

My computer is half disassembled as I wait for Movers to arrive for a major in-house reorganization. So, I don't have any speakers to listen today.

But what I heard of Mr. Luj. last year sounded pretty good. Did the NAB award change him that much???
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 pm

It just sounded like listeners should be grateful for lujack and co. being on the air. Lots of "in" jokes and slapping each other on the back etc. It just wasn't entertaining because it was all about "them" and not the audience. They had the "rewind" day from last year up as a podcast so I'm sure this years efforts will be posted as well. Whenever talent sounds bad on the air it's the fault of the PD. Citadel is a two bit outfit that owned a bunch of medium and small market stations. Now they own some of the best heritage stations in the country which they are slowly gutting beyond recognition. Their CEO Farid Suleman is as big a beancouting scumbag as the jerks at Clear Channel. Suleman doesn't even look out for shareholders since the price of Citadel stock has nosedived under his management all while he paid himself 17 million dollars last year.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News