Superjock Needs A Gig

Radio news from the USA

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Fired 'Superjock' still has a lot to say

August 17, 2006

BY ROBERT FEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Image Larry Lujack 1969

Chicago's most famous disc jockey insists he "couldn't care less" that he never got to say goodbye to listeners before he was fired as morning co-host on WRLL-AM (1690).

All Larry Lujack cares about is getting back on the air -- on his own terms, of course.

The legendary "Superjock" and Radio Hall of Famer was among the casualties of Clear Channel Radio's decision to pull the plug on its low-rated "Real Oldies" format after three years on the air.

As of Sept. 18, the frequency will be leased to Midway Broadcasting as a full-time outlet for the African-American talk format of WVON.

"I really think that [oldies] format could have worked and could have been very profitable," Lujack said Wednesday. "But as long as we were on a signal that went nowhere, it never really had a chance."

From his home in Santa Fe, N.M., Lujack, 66, held forth each morning with Tommy Edwards, who doubled as morning host and program director of WRLL.

It was, in many ways, the ideal job for him.

"I really have no desire whatsoever to go at this full-time again," Lujack said. "I much prefer being a part-time adorable sidekick guy. That way if it bombs, you can always blame the other guy.

"Given the fact that I am still charming, still delightful, and still blessed with the God-given ability to pleasure the listeners in every conceivable way, you would think that some station manager would be eager to throw money at me. But with the idiots running radio stations these days, who knows?"

Although his last day on the air was Tuesday, Lujack is still being paid through the remainder of his contract in October.

What happens after that?

"If I can't get anything going, I just might consider filing an age-discrimination lawsuit or pulling a Diann Burns and screaming racism," he said facetiously. "That would be my emergency backup plan."

Robert Feder Chicago Sun-Times
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News