Fire destroys San Jose ethnic stations

Radio news from the USA

Fire destroys San Jose ethnic stations

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:19 pm

KZSF-1370 and KSJX-1500 San Jose have been knocked off the air due to a grass fire that spread to their studios and transmitter site. The story from KGO-TV news San Francisco:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=7716794
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Fire destroys San Jose ethnic stations

Postby jon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Grass fires sound so "minor" if you have never experienced them for yourself. 14 years in a farming area not far from Edmonton gave me a lot of respect for the amount of damage they can do. If there is peat moss in the ground, they can burn underground for years during dry periods.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I remember the days when it was KEEN 1370 and KXRX 1500.

Thank god Kellogg's makes Eggos there rather than Rice Krispies. I can't imagine the stations having an address on SanpCracklePop Avenue. Eggo is bad enough.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 am

I can't imagine the stations having an address on SanpCracklePop Avenue. Eggo is bad enough.

You're a sick puppy Mr. Radiofan.....................
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Ah those grass fires, I imagine they can spread quickly in parts of the drylands or prairies. Fortunately I' ve never been close to one. Anyway regarding 1370 AM I usually get San jose, Kast Astoria and Butte Montana on that frequency at night using the directional aspects of the radio. However lately I have been getting a strong open carrier from the easterly direction from sunet onward. I don't know what station it is, but it might be that new one in Newport, Washington called KPWL, no audio programming yet just an open carrier. When you turn the antenna or radio south it is greatly reduced. There is also a new AM station licensed to Big Horn, Wyoming on 1370 called KHNY so it might be that one! The open carrier is so strong you should be able to hear it in most of Greater Vancouver on a half-decent AM radio. Anyone know when 1370 San Jose might be back on. I've never found the 1500 AM from San Jose very strong here at night, sometimes I can't even get it.
Regarding Kelloggs when I visited radio friends Frank Merrill and George Greene back in 1975 we took a record and radio hunting trip to Battle Creek, they knew a great place for buying 45 rpm vinly records there. Man, the entire city of Battle Creek, Micihigan smelled like Kellogg's Corn Flakes!!! I think RadioFan might have started dreaming about them if he had been there. I guess people in Battle Creek get used to it but it might turn some of them off Kellogg's Corn Flake for life!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News