Edmonton Journal to Outsource Printing

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

Edmonton Journal to Outsource Printing

Postby jon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Journal to outsource printing to new St. Albert facility starting next summer
Edmonton Journal
August 12, 2012 5:00 PM

EDMONTON - The Journal will outsource the printing of its newspaper starting in 2013, publisher John Connolly announced Sunday.

Starting next summer, the print edition of the Journal will be printed at new facilities being built by Great West Newspapers, publisher of the St. Albert Gazette, in St. Albert. The change will provide the Journal with better reproduction, more colour and greater size flexibility for the print edition. It will also result in the closing of the Journal’s Eastgate printing plant and the loss of about 70 full-time jobs.

The Journal’s Eastgate plant opened in 1980 with new presses that were state of the art for the era. They were described as “Canada’s largest, most modern newspaper offset presses.” Since then, however, increased demand for colour and new technologies has made those 1980-vintage presses outdated.

New presses are prohibitively expensive, costing tens of millions of dollars. That has led many North American newspapers to outsource their printing operations as a way of improving quality and decreasing costs. According to Editor and Publisher magazine, more than 50 U.S. newspapers shut down their printing facilities between 2009 and 2011.

“We have mixed feelings about the change,” Connolly said. “We are excited about the new possibilities for more colour and better reproduction. However, we are sorry to be losing many of our dedicated Journal staffers.”

Connolly said departing employees would be given access to career counseling and other support services to help them through the transition. He said he foresaw no impact on the quality of the Journal or the timeliness of its delivery during the transition period between now and summer 2013.

ref. - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Jou ... story.html
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Edmonton Journal to Outsource Printing

Postby jon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:48 pm

From the headline, I thought they might follow the trend of large corporations over the last 10 years and offshore the work to China.

Which reminded me of my early days in Edmonton, the latter half of the 1970s, when I would hear something on CBC Radio's As It Happens, then read the same story in the Edmonton Journal 3-10 days later.

Or, to put it another way, if the Edmonton Journal was printed in China and shipped here, would anyone notice? So long as the daily dated issues were printed several weeks in advance.

In fairness, though I still have my fair share of complaints about the Edmonton Journal -- mostly around them printing U.S. stories verbatim without checking for obvious things like a U.S. retailer changing a customer policy but no such change being made under the same brand name in Canada -- the arrival of the Edmonton Sun in the late 1970s really did make the Edmonton Journal a better newspaper. Before that, Edmonton had been one of the few major cities in Canada with only one daily newspaper.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media