15 Day Old News in the Edmonton Journal

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

15 Day Old News in the Edmonton Journal

Postby jon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 pm

When I first moved to Edmonton in early 1975, it was a "One Horse Town" as far as newspapers were concerned. The Edmonton Journal. And that Monopoly status led to lazy journalism. In fact, after it happened several times, I developed the line "Heard it this evening on As It Happens (CBC Radio) and I'll read it 10 days from now in the Edmonton Journal."

This article caught my eye: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business ... story.html
It is time stamped this evening and will be published in tomorrow morning's print edition of the Edmonton Journal.

Notice how the columnist skillfully avoids mentioning when the event he is referring to took place. I happen to be one of the attendees. It was on the evening of October 25th! Well, at least it was 2012, but there is still a 15 day delay between the date of the event and the date of the print edition of the newspaper. It is tempting to coin a new phrase: historypaper because 15 days ago doth not News make.

Instead of closing their printing press and outsourcing to one in St. Albert, maybe the Edmonton Journal would not be that different if its printing were outsourced to China, printed 6 weeks ahead, and sent by Ship and Rail to Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: 15 Day Old News in the Edmonton Journal

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:58 am

Not just the print media.
Those who use social media, ie: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. see content hours and days ahead of the mainstream media which, because of cost cutting, is stealing more and more content from these sources.
And with many radio and TV stations dropping The Canadian Press service, they're stealing lots from Google too and it's late as well.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media