Rocky Mountain News R.I.P.

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

Rocky Mountain News R.I.P.

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Rocky Mountain News publishes final edition
Colorado's oldest newspaper shuts 2 months short of its 150th anniversary

updated 2:50 a.m. PT, Fri., Feb. 27, 2009
DENVER - Questions about the future of the Rocky Mountain News had become so common, the newspaper's staff put up a handwritten paper sign on the news desk that said, "We don't know."

On Thursday, someone wrote over it in heavy black marker: "Now we know."

Colorado's oldest newspaper, which launched in Denver in 1859, printed its last edition Friday, leaving The Denver Post as the only daily newspaper in town.

"Goodbye, Colorado," read the headline on a 52-page commemorative edition wrapping the regular newspaper. "STOP THE PRESSES," read the front-page headline inside.

The E.W. Scripps Co., which owns the News, said Thursday the newspaper lost $16 million last year and the company was unable to find a viable buyer since announcing a sale Dec. 4.

"Today the Rocky Mountain News, long the leading voice in Denver, becomes a victim of changing times in our industry and huge economic challenges," Scripps CEO Rich Boehne said Thursday.

The News is the latest — and largest — newspaper to fail in a recession that has been especially brutal for the industry amid falling ad revenue.

Four owners of 33 U.S. daily newspapers have sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the past 2 1/2 months. A number of other newspapers are up for sale.

'It's hard losing the best job in the world'

In the newsroom Thursday, News editors chose a photo for the front page of the final edition as Publisher and Editor John Temple hugged a tearful photographer.

In another corner, interactive producer Duncan Taylor blared an aria from "The Magic Flute" from his computer, a running dig at photographer Judy DeHaas' cell phone ring.

Dennis Schroeder, a News photographer for 25 years, said some of his colleagues were angry but others were relieved that Scripps executives decided on the newspaper's fate after weeks of uncertainty.

"It's hard losing the best job in the world," he said.

The special section highlighted some of the newspaper's best work, including Pulitzer Prize-winning stories and photos. The final edition had a print run of about 350,000 copies, up from the regular daily circulation of 210,000 and 457,000 on Saturdays.

"It's very rare that you get to play the music at your own funeral, so you want to make sure you do it well," Temple said.

Scripps' Boehne said the News' 230 editorial employees would be paid through April 28. The Post said it will hire 10 News staffers, including five columnists, four reporters and the editorial page editor.

One of those reporters, Lynn Bartels, said she would miss sitting beside her News colleagues. "The Rocky is the most amazing family," she said.

Bartels held a box of tissues over her head and called out, "This is for everybody."

Time capsule opened early

A handful of employees gathered outside the newsroom to open a 1985 time capsule cut out of a wall. The capsule, with News memorabilia inside, said on the outside: "To be opened in April 2059 on RMN's 200th anniversary."

Scripps said only one potential buyer came forward for the News, "and that party was unable to present a viable plan."

Scripps has owned the News since 1926. The newspaper will close just two months short of its 150th anniversary.

"Good grief — that's a piece of heritage we're losing," said Diane Scott, 56, of suburban Englewood.

Mike Hankinson, 25, of Denver blamed the format. "It's the paper. People go online now," he said.

Since 2001, the News has shared business operations with The Denver Post in a joint operating agreement between Scripps and The Post's owner, MediaNews Group Inc.

MediaNews said Rocky Mountain News subscribers will get The Post for the length of their subscriptions and The Post will return to seven-day publication starting Saturday. Under the JOA, The Post published Sunday through Friday and the News published Monday through Saturday.

"The Rocky will forever be remembered for its vital role in the city's history and the city's success," said William Dean Singleton, chairman and publisher of The Post and CEO of MediaNews. "Although we competed intensely, the talented staff of the Rocky earned our respect with each morning's edition."

Singleton, who is chairman of the board of The Associated Press, has said Denver could support only one newspaper. "I'm not just confident that we'll survive. We will survive," he insisted Friday.

'Plan to unwind the partnership'

Scripps said it has been working with MediaNews on "a plan to unwind the partnership" since mid-January, the deadline for offers.

The future of the Denver Newspaper Agency, the entity that handles the two newspapers' business operations, was unclear. The agency is a 50-50 partnership of the News and The Post. It employs about 1,800 people.

Scripps and MediaNews Group also are partners in Prairie Mountain Publishing, which publishes the Camera and Colorado Daily in Boulder, the Broomfield Enterprise and other Colorado newspapers. Scripps said it would transfer its 50 percent interest in Prairie Mountain to MediaNews later this year.

Scripps said it will retain ownership, and still offer to sell, the Rocky Mountain News name and the newspaper's archives and Web site.

Ed Atorino, a newspaper industry analyst at The Benchmark Co., said that indicates the News could become an online-only venture at some point.

"Online newspapers seem to be doing pretty well," he said. "It's a very low-cost business."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29412240/

Check out the 21 minute video on The Rocky Mountain News Website.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rocky Mountain News R.I.P.

Postby mightymouth » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Radiofan, thanks for posting this. Wow! I don't know the newspaper, but really, I don't have too...to be trite...Oh the times, they are a changin!
I sure hope that I can still sit with a coffee, bacon and eggs, toast, and a "paper" in the morning, right up till the day I die. But it sure looks like that may not happen. Sorry, but logging on to RW.ca is fun, but it doesn't compare to flipping the pages of a morning paper. And remember when we had a morning and afternoon/evening paper, The Sun, at the end of the day! The ink-stained wreches of the paper business have always been a strange bunch, but I must say, a world without my paper, would be stranger :|
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 am

It's not just the radio and TV biz that's having probs these days.

In the coming months many cities will be reduced to one daily newspaper.

There was little or no notice of the Canadian edition of Time magazine disappearing back in December. Rolling Stone magazine very quietly became a regular sized publication (it's cheaper to print a smaller sized mag).

The Seattle P-I and San Francisco Chronicle are both living on borrowed time. The LA Times is a mere shadow of it's former self.

How long til Vancouver has one paper?

Take a look at the lack of advertising in The Sun or Province any Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 am

The fight for the almighty advertising dollar will certainly force the closure of a couple of the papers. Once upon a time when Pac Press was running things, the Province as a Tab was gaining in popularity, and the powers that be wanted to shut it down. The reason? You can get more advertising dollars out of a full page ad in a broadsheet than you can from a little Tab format. Didn't happen though. People loved the convenience of the smaller sized paper. But what about now. The dollar crunch is on. We'll wait and see.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media