Wording a Mystery to Me

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

Re: Wording a Mystery to Me

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

"It was 8 cylinders versus six on a dark night in E-town as cops dodged a ramming runaway Cherokee ..."
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 pm

EX-BOSSJOCK wrote:I wonder how the legendary Dick Smyth, when he was at "The Big 8" ,would have reported that one ? I don't have his linguistic elasticity,so I won't try, but, I bet it would have been shocking, brutal, provocative and totally entertaining. Why did I throw that into the mix? I have no idea.

If anyone wants to get an idea, there are some awfully good Byron MacGregor impressions, plus some great footage of Byron himself (explaining 20/20 News), right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEAlcQ7tlvw

Byron took over from Dick Smyth, in the 20/20 News "If it bleeds, it leads" approach, did he not?

The mind boggles at (living in SW Ontario and) having the choice between CHUM and CKLW in the late '60s and early '70s.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Dick can be seen in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDCdbmwy9l8
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Here's my favourite from my collection....

Taken from The Classic CKLW Page at www.thebig8.net

Check tis out from what I still think is the best station I ever heard ... but then I am very heavily biased.

http://www.thebig8.net/2020.wav
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:05 am

this thread is almost into the third page :lol: and may go on to becoming the longest unrelated
string of pearls in radiowest history - people like howaboutthat :love9: will be pulling out their hair by the clumps

in an unrelated event - I used to work for the cbc in edmonton and the journal was a fine newspaper with competent reporting and very good commentary. The article 'cutted and pasted' by jon is an example of how things seem to have changed. Hurried and unprofessional. Not a story well told or edited.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Editors and proof-readers were the first casualties of "let's do it cheaper."
Poor usage of English and bad grammar as well as errors in punctuation and syntaxare everywhere these days.
Just yesterday on News 1130, I heard "refer back," repatriate back" and "continue on."
So that's "send it back back," "bring back home back," and "keep on keepin' on."
Our beautiful language butchered under the spell of cheapdom.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I would admit to using the phrase - let's refer back to page 18 where the manager states "he is incompetent"

good to see Mike has found our thread - I would like to see some creativity however from all on just how CKLW newsies would have written the Edmonton story
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Long have I been familiar with the exactitudes of the mathematical world, and Mac, the horse's name is Friday. (Little Big League, not exactly Citizen Kane). I think we've established that news deskers don't
edit with the fine tooth comb they used to. The defence will stipulate. Also somebody tell Cleaver, nobody is trying to steal his limpdick thing, so putting a trademark on it is not required. :wink:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:06 pm

CKLW headline: The stench of burning rubber and gun powder permeated the pre dawn air as police, following a prior patrolman put down, emptied their Beretta Px4 pistols at a pernicious perpetrator's fleeing pickup. The Big 8 is sorry to report, at this time, only minor injuries were sustained.
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:12 pm

jon wrote:“I can tell you that the driver of the vehicle did aggress in a very fevered manner at the member and in my own view of the evidence at hand, that member was certainly justified in taking a shot at the car.”

The above is not jon speaking its from an excerpt from the Ed Journal article.

Even tho aggress is a verb I have never in my 63 years heard this word used like this.

I have noticed that pr persons and police spokespersons sometime invent phrases to explain situations - when real english just escapes them.

"the car was being driven in an aggressive manner and I believe the officer was justified in taking the shot"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:28 pm

You're onto something there ex-bossjock.

I could throw some teletype sfx in there, and it would convey the image perfectly!
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:
jon wrote:“I can tell you that the driver of the vehicle did aggress in a very fevered manner at the member and in my own view of the evidence at hand, that member was certainly justified in taking a shot at the car.”

The above is not jon speaking. It's from an excerpt from the Ed Journal article.

Even though aggress is a verb, I have never in my 63 years heard this word used like this.

Might the word in question here actually be an incorrect use and mis-spelling of the word 'Egress'... as in making an exit ?

Egress:
1. The act or an instance of going, esp. from an enclosed place.
2. A means or place of going out; an exit.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 am

Jack Bennest wrote:in a very fevered manner at the member

leave my member out of it - egress or aggress - that's it - I'm done.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:
Jack Bennest wrote:in a very fevered manner at the member

leave my member out of it - egress or aggress - that's it - I'm done.

Ok, offside! Game over.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to The Print Media