Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Pop singer Whitney Houston dead at 48
Cause and location of singer's death unclear
The Associated Press Posted: Feb 11, 2012 8:09 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 11, 2012 8:07 PM ET

Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.

At her peak in the 1980s and `90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.

Among her hits were "How Will I Know," "Saving All My Love for You" and "I Will Always Love You." She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies like "The Bodyguard."

But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... -dies.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Whitney Houston Dead at 48

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

What a loss.
I was hoping she would be able to turn her life around. She was an incredible talent.
R.I.P.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:51 pm

I just can't fathom why people of any stripe get into drugs. So-called stars of differing platforms are brought down with the scourge of what drugs do to you....yet they, like speeding drivers, believe nothing untoward will ever happen to them. It's tragic to say the least. And, it hasn't been just in recent years. I was a drummer in a teen band in Quebec in the mid 50's when my kind of rock came into being.....a guy by the name of Gene Krupa was my idol, until I found out he was a heroin addict.
I was devastated. Since then, the only vice I've ever had was smoking legal cigs.....and I gave that up to save my life eight years ago. Yes, I drink beer.....but in moderation and I don't drive if I've had a few.

This is not a sermon.....I just can't understand why some get into drugs. Don't they read what happens to others....don't they see what happens to others, before they begin? It is just so sad that a talent can kill themselves like that. Think of so many others who beat Houston......Joplin, Hendrix to name a couple. I couldn't stand either one when they were stars. I had to introduce Hendrix to a sold-out Montreal Forum crowd while at CFOX in the east.....he was absolutely out of it. It was sickening.

I have no respect for any singer, sports player of any kind or whosoever, who tries to better themselves by taking drugs. If they are not capable of doing their job without drugs, then they don't deserve to be on the "stage".

Whitney Houston was obviously misdirected and has paid the price with her life. I hope this one death will change someone's thinking. I doubt it. RIP Whitney.

Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 pm

johnsykes wrote:I have no respect for any singer, sports player of any kind or whosoever, who tries to better themselves by taking drugs. If they are not capable of doing their job without drugs, then they don't deserve to be on the "stage"....'was obviously misdirected'...

Sometimes I have to shake my head at what comes out of your keyboard.
You're entitled to you opinion, but IMO, you should walk a mile in their multi-million dollar shoes before judging.
What about the many more that have been able to turn their lives around after being in the depths.
One of the best examples I can think of off the top of my head is Craig Ferguson.
Whitney Houston, as was mentioned before, had been trying to turn things around, but I fear the less-than-stellar concert tour in 2010 was certainly a setback.
I choose to remember her for her high energy songs/performances of the 80's and early 90's.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 pm

What I'm trying to say is....after hearing about all those who have passed before them, why the hell did they fall into the depths to begin with? Never mind those who fought out of it.....why get into it. Why???????

I was driving to work one morning...top CKVN....when a highly respected morning man called me on my radio phone and asked me to get him some orange juice before I got to work....../that was a 5am. He was in dire straits....and eventually died.

For shit's sake.....what does it take for kids, never mind adults, to get it into their thick heads....drugs are illegal and therefore should be dumped down the toilet. You want to get high? then do something to help someone else. And shove your bit about questioning what comes out of my keyboard. I sometimes wonder who is on what on here too.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Geezuz Sykes.... take a pill... calm down!
Even in the 'Real' world, the War On Drugs has been a dismal failure. (BTW, there are many more 'legal' drugs that can do just as much damage, as there are 'illegal' drugs, so don't say drugs are illegal as a blanket statement)
Some people will self-destruct. It may be genetic, it may be a choice, but in the end, it's their life and as mentioned before, it's up to them whether they want to get well. And as far as I can tell, as of this time (9:25pm PT) Houston's cause of death has not been determined.
I get it, that you don't get it. There are lots of things I don't get, such as the fascination with a certain goaltender.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Fascination with a certain goaltender? You got the wrong guy.....I'm all for dumping Louie yesterday
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Especially after him losing again tonight.....when will the coach put Schneider in for the shootouts, now, please!!!!!!!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 pm

You telling me cocaine, ecxtasy or whatever it is.....marijuana is legal??? Speeding at 130 kph is illegal and just as deadly.

Enough. Now back to your regular programing.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:25 pm

johnsykes wrote:You telling me cocaine, ecxtasy or whatever it is.....marijuana is legal??? Speeding at 130 kph is illegal and just as deadly.

Of course not. Please read and understand what I wrote before making yourself look silly. (Distracted Driving is the leading cause of accidents, drug impairment is number 15)

My apologies to those who would like to direct this back to Whitney Houston. Please proceed.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 am

Legally sold drugs that supposedly help you, kill over 100,000 people a year in the States.

Whatever the cirumstance of Houston's death (latest has her drowning in her bath, and the suite littered with Prescription drugs).

Legal issues aside, this is an immense tragedy.

Drugs kill far too many people. Alcohol being the most dangerous and widely abused.

I feel for Dionne, Cissy, her daughter and brother. Awful.

I loved playing "I'm Every Woman" - because oft he sheer joy in her voice. KISS-FM for me will always be marked by Whitney. What a voice. Until she met Bobby Brown.

This is a very sad day. The Grammy Show will be a tribute, no doubt.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Found drowned in her bath tub.

Now, that's a head scratcher....
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:36 pm

hagopian wrote:Legally sold drugs that supposedly help you, kill over 100,000 people a year in the States.

Your point being?

Former President Bill Clinton almost died of a stroke because he stopped taking his anti-cholesterol medication. The decision whether or not to take a drug, have an operation or any other medical decision should be based on the relative consequences of taking it/having it done versus not. Same goes for natural remedies, only you also have to add the risk factor of not knowing if the stuff you are getting is the real thing and not something else because its production is not regulated.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Listen to the next commercial on CNN for one of those spiffy "ask your doctor" about....type of drugs, and then listen to twenty seconds of side effects.
My point is Valium, Vicodin, even acetominiphen and other NSAIDS kill a ton of folks. The poor woman had, allegedly, many types of Legal Drugs at her suite.
The street drugs are terrible - all get high drugs have a big downside.
Prescription drugs are a terrible problem, and no one talks about it.

Opiates. Benzos. This stuff is very heavy stuff.

This has nothing to do with cholesteral meds and their efficacy. I am glad WJC is still with us.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby theallniter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

After Dave Marsden left CKST (Coast Radio) I again brought my idea to the station of being the host of my Groovin' Blue Format.
There was a new Music Director and Programme Director.
Maybe fellow-Coaster John Tanner or J.B. Shayne can jog my memory as to names.
During my interview with him, six months previously, I'd picked up on Mr. Marsden not being a fan of New World African Music.
Yes, he liked a few Black artists' output but remember the origin of the word "fan". He wasn't a fan. My assessment was,
when it came to Rhythm 'n' Blues and Soul and the music's other forms, he was an anti-fan.
The new people in charge were more receptive. I proposed that I produce and host 'Groovin' Blue' and that I bring sponsors to the station. These sponsors would have their commercials
played on my show and I would share in the profit made from the spots sold. They bought it. 'Groovin' Blue' was, once again, on Vancouver airwaves.

"Whitney Houston Dead at 48" made me think of two things that happened on the day the new powers-that-be were generous enough to see benefit in the show's resurrection on COAST RADIO.

While discussing artists that I would feature (remember Coast was an Alternative station) the name of Whitney Houston came up.
They were adamant! No Whitney Houston should be played on their station (therefore: on 'Groovin' Blue')!
Sometimes when I know I'm not going to follow instructions (from authority) I realize now, that I go into a trance or suspended-state of mental-being.
I think it's a gift that's been given me and replaces anger or my saying something that will not serve my purpose at that particular time.
I chose to move to that place.
In DJZigZag reality - Ms. Houston had a marvelous voice that was tempered by years of training. She personified the soul of Black Popular music. To the two people I was sitting in front of me, the song "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" was an un-holy stain on the air-waves they controlled. [Writing this has caused me to shake in my seat with laughter]
Further to my placement of Whitney in the G.B. Format - while she was on the right of other then-popular Groovin' Blue artists, asking me to "ban" her from the show's playlist would be like putting my producer's "hand" over Luther Van Dross' mouth.
I played Ms. Houston. Although, I did wait a coupla' weeks before setting needle to vinyl and the beautiful voice (and may not have announced who it was).
Listening to her 1980's music today is testament enuff to my then needful decision.

Next time, I'll tell you what happened when, during that same meeting, the discussion of "Hip Hop" came up. [I sit and chuckle again, dear friends]

Ha Ha Ha Hip Hop
WAGRadio 180.2 FM / 1802 AM
New World African Music
DJ ZigZag
theallniter
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The End Of The Road