Davy Jones is Dead

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Davy Jones is Dead

Postby jon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:23 am

Feb 29, 2012
Monkees star Davy Jones dies at age 66
By Ann Oldenburg, USA
USA Today

No doubt you're humming Daydream Believer or Last Train to Clarksville as you read this.

The lead singer of The Monkees, Davy Jones, has died.

His rep tells TMZ that he died after suffering a heart attack this morning in Florida. Jones was 66.

TMZ confirmed Jones' death with an official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Fla.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and four daughters from previous marriages.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965, with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork.

ref. - http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 05tPPnGrgR
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Davy Jones is Dead

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Curiously, Davy Jones... lead singer of The Monkees... had made his first North American TV appearance as the Artful Dodger with the Broadway cast of "Oliver" on the February 9th 1964 episode of The Ed Sullivan Show... the same TV episode that is best known for the first North American stage performance by The Beatles...

... and this, unquestionably, was Davy's best song:
See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLaJMKwXZGg
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Sirius/XM already has imaging running marking Davy's death, voiced by their standard voice guy. And Cousin Brucie has recorded a plug for his upcoming show, asking for listeners who actually met Davy to send in their memories of the experience.

Pretty good for someone who died this morning, without any prior knowledge that it might happen.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Another of those " boomer moments" - with the passing of Mr. Jones.

I met and interviewed Mike Nesmith and about the only nice thing about him was his words about Jones. He was complimentary and said he was incredibly fond of him.

RIP.

Thanks for "Little Bit me, Little bit you" - "Daydream Believer" and more.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart, said a wise friend.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18 am

A different slant on it from Michael Hagerty on reelradio: Davy's death reduces the number of Groups who had a #1 Album on Billboard's chart in the 1960s, to four:
  1. Simon and Garfunkel
  2. Cream
  3. The Young Rascals
  4. Blood, Sweat and Tears
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 pm

jon wrote:A different slant on it from Michael Hagerty on reelradio: Davy's death reduces the number of Groups who had a #1 Album on Billboard's chart in the 1960s, to four:
  1. Simon and Garfunkel
  2. Cream
  3. The Young Rascals

What??
I don't understand that at all. Have all the other groups had their #1 Albums taken away?
That makes no sense.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 pm

jon wrote:A different slant on it from Michael Hagerty on reelradio: Davy's death reduces the number of Groups who had a #1 Album on Billboard's chart in the 1960s, to four:
  1. Simon and Garfunkel
  2. Cream
  3. The Young Rascals

::::: HUH??? :::::
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Paul P wrote:
  1. Simon and Garfunkel
  2. Cream
  3. The Young Rascals

What??
I don't understand that at all. Have all the other groups had their #1 Albums taken away?
That makes no sense.

I assume he means of all the groups who had a #1 album on Billboard's chart in the 1960s, only those four groups have not lost at least one member and thus are the only ones still officially "a group". At least that's what I assumed he meant. Haven't checked the stats. :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:43 pm

You're right. I must have been sleeping when I wrote that...

The question was supposed to be "how many groups with all of their members still living, had Billboard #1 albums in the 1960s?"

Doing a little reading since then, BS&T may not be correct as the group had a large number of members that frequently changed, generally with a "Nucleus" numbering four. The members of the Nucleus are still alive, but what of the others?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:01 pm

jon wrote:The members of the Nucleus are still alive ...

Not to be confused with Nucleus, the U.K. psychedelic rock/jazz combo whose membership involved over 30 members spanning a three-decade career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleus_%28band%29

And no, they never charted on Billboard.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Mickey Dolenz said the remaining members of the band will not be at Davy's Funeral, for fear it would detract from the occasion. Think that is a classy move.
There are plans being hatched for something down the road, but nothing definite.

I found the passing of Jones is a real signpost that Boomers are getting up there.

Jones was more talented than given credit for.

Life sure flies.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road