Goober dies

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Goober dies

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun May 06, 2012 4:27 pm

By Travis Loller, The Associated Press

Updated 11:15 a.m. PT: NASHVILLE, Tenn. — George Lindsey, who spent nearly 30 years as the grinning Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hee Haw," has died. He was 83.

A press release from Marshall-Donnelly-Combs Funeral Home in Nashville said Lindsay died early Sunday morning after a brief illness. Funeral arrangements were still being made.

Lindsey was the beanie-wearing Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1964 to 1968 and its successor, "Mayberry RFD," from 1968 to 1971. He played the same jovial character – a service station attendant – on "Hee Haw" from 1971 until it went out of production in 1993.

Although he was best known as Goober, Lindsey had other roles during a long TV career. Earlier, he often was a "heavy" and once shot Matt Dillon on "Gunsmoke."

His other TV credits included roles on "M*A*S*H," `'The Wonderful World of Disney," `'CHIPs," `'The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour," `'The Real McCoys," `'Rifleman," `'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour," `'Twilight Zone" and "Love American Style."

Reflecting on his career, he said in 1985: "There's a residual effect of knowing I've made America laugh. I'm not the only one, but I've contributed something."

He had movie roles, too, appearing in "Cannonball Run II" and "Take This Job and Shove It." His voice was used in animated Walt Disney features including "The Aristocats," `'The Rescuers" and "Robin Hood."

Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Goober dies

Postby Dan Sys » Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow, I guess that explains why I automatically went into "salute mode" when I walked by the fillin' station on the way to the pub this afternoon.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road