Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman dies at age 70

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:08 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lee Dorman, the bassist for psychedelic rock band Iron Butterfly, has died at age 70.

Orange County sheriff's spokeswoman Gail Krause says Dorman was found dead in a vehicle Friday morning. A coroner's investigation is under way, but foul play is not suspected.
Krause said Dorman may have been on his way to a doctor's appointment when he died.

Iron Butterfly was formed and rose to prominence in the late 1960s. Its second album, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," sold more than 30 million copies, according to the band's website. The title track's distinctive notes have been featured in numerous films and TV shows including "The Simpsons," ''That '70s Show" and in the series finale of "Rescue Me."

Douglas Lee Dorman was born in September 1942 and had been living in Laguna Niguel, a coastal city in Southern California, when he died.

A message sent through the band's website was not immediately returned.

http://news.yahoo.com/iron-butterfly-ba ... 19358.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman dies at age 70

Postby Big Voice » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 pm

It's sad to witness. The rock and rollers we grew up with, are now grandpa's!

Tough to get my head around. :sad1:
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Saw a post of “Then and Now” pics of many of the stars of ‘yesteryear', and I was thinking the same thing.

Went fast, no?

Best to all - and there must be one heck of a band up there.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:04 pm

First real rock concert I attended was to see Iron Butterfly.
Prior to their encore, guitarist Mike Pinera informed the audience that the hotel management at the Calgary International had agreed that it was okay for the band to invite a few "friends" up to their penthouse suite after the show. "You..are all our friends" he assured us.
About 200 concert-goers, including myself and my best friend Jim, took him up on the offer.
After about an hour, the hotel management, accompanied by a half-dozen Calgary police officers, politely asked us all to go home.
In another time and another city it could have been a riot but, this was 1970 and all still peace and love so, we complied with smiles all around.
My good friend Jim (Llewellyn) later went on to drum with the Calgary-based group Painter (later name changed to Hammersmith) and supported both Jethro Tull and Rod Stewart on a couple of mid-70's U.S.tours.
Still very proud of him.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road