George Jones, country superstar, has died at 81

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

George Jones, country superstar, has died at 81

Postby radiofan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 am

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," has died. He was 81.

Publicist Kirt Webster says Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville after being hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure.

Known for his clenched, precise baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s, and was idolized not just by fellow country singers, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others.

In a career that lasted more than 50 years, "Possum" recorded more than 150 albums and became the champion and symbol of traditional country music, a well-lined link to his hero, Hank Williams.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-jones-coun ... 03663.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: George Jones, country superstar, has died at 81

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 am

He Stopped Loving Her Today, along with Your Cheating Heart, would have to be two of the top 5 or 6 iconic country songs ever. Include a couple of Patsy Cline's (Crazy, I Fall to Pieces), one Johnny Cash (Ring of Fire) and, if you need an instrumental, Orange Blossom Special and there's a package for the Gods.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

George and Tammy will be back together again.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

This man was idolized by any number of singers. "Possum" was the best. Amazing he lived to 81. Another legend. Like NS said = for the ages.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 am

Greetings, Sorry to hear about this. I thought George Jones was a very talented country musician and recording artist. Have quite a few of his vinyl records. I know he recorded with Tammy Wynette but for some reason I keep relating his music to Dave Dudley too. Maybe some of their hits came out about the same time. Anyone know how Dave Dudley is doing these days. I know Radiofan and I always got a kick out his big hit POOL SHARK many moons ago! I wonder if Dave Dudley ever did any performances with George Jones???

Anyway heres to Greener Pastures to you George Jones, will miss you!

73s All the Best From Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

George Jones had one of the most distinct voices in country music, influencing countless other singers and the love of his fans. The "possum" was one who truly lived his music (and then some)!

I would personally consider the passing of George Jones to be the biggest loss to country music since Johnny Cash died. Although Nashville has moved away from the style of George Jones, the man certainly held an incredible amount of respect from his fellow country artists.

As one who spent many years working at country music stations, George Jones' music was still being requested by listeners of all ages, which, I believe shows his music will live on for years to come.

Oh, a side note to Eldon - Dave Dudley has been dead for nearly ten years.
Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road