Good Morning Vietnam "DJ" Robin Williams is Dead

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Good Morning Vietnam "DJ" Robin Williams is Dead

Postby jon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Robin Williams dead: Beloved actor-comedian found dead in California home, aged 63
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Updated 12 Aug 2014, 9:30am (Aussie time)

Actor-comedian Robin Williams has been found dead at his home in northern California.

The Marin County sheriff's office said the 63-year-old was found dead this morning (Australian time).

The Oscar-winning actor was known for roles in acclaimed films such as Good Morning Vietnam (1987), Dead Poets Society (1989), Good Will Hunting (1997), Mrs Doubtfire (1993) and Jumanji (1995).

Williams' widow, Susan Schneider released a statement, saying: "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.

"I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief.

"As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

Born in Chicago in 1951, Williams rose to fame with his role as the alien Mork in the TV series Mork and Mindy.

The actor, who had struggled with depression and addiction, went on to establish a career in both stand-up comedy and film action, and also did voice work, including on Aladdin and Happy Feet.

Nominated for three Academy Awards, he won the best supporting actor Oscar for his performance in Good Will Hunting.

He also received two Emmy Awards, four Golden Globes, two Screen Actors Guild awards and five Grammys.

The actor had described himself as a quiet child who overcame his shyness after becoming involved in drama during high school.

In 1973, Williams became one of only two students accepted into the advanced program at the Julliard School - the other being Christopher Reeve.

After his work on Mork and Mindy in the late 1970s, Williams attracted a wider audience with his stand-up comedy, a consistent thread throughout his career.

Known for his improvisational skills and impersonations, most of his career focused on the silver screen.

His first film was the 1977 comedy Can I Do It 'Till I Need Glasses? His performance in Good Morning Vietnam the next year earned him an Academy Award nomination.

His unique voice brought the genie to life in Aladdin (1992), with Williams going on to voice parts in Fern Gully (1992), Robots (2005) and Happy Feet (2006).

He earned critical acclaim for his roles as an English teacher in Dead Poets Society, and later as a psychologist in Good Will Hunting, alongside Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

His other films include Hook, What Dreams May Come, and thrillers Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Williams was married three times, and has three children. He lived with his third wife in San Francisco until his death.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Good Morning Vietnam "DJ" Robin Williams is Dead

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 pm

More details:

(Reuters) - Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent suicide at his home in Northern California, Marin County Sheriff's Office said. He was 63.

The sheriff's coroner's division said it suspects the death was a suicide due to asphyxia, but the cause of death is still under investigation.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:48 pm

I am just so upset by the death of this genius.

Depression and Alcoholism are two powerful diseases, and Mr. Williams did his best to fight these horrid conditions, and just look at his amazing body of work, he still managed to turn out. He was also generous with his time with Comedy relief and visits to troops in the War Zone.

This will reverberate for a long time. So sad.

The wold has lost a giant.

Thank you, Captain, My Captain.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Man goes to a doctor. Says, he's depressed. Says, life is harsh and cruel. Says, he feels all alone in a threatening world.
Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up".
Man bursts into tears and says, "But doctor. I AM Pagliacci".

...and that about says it all.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

NS old pal, you nailed it!

Pagliacci. Of course.

Sigh.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 pm

I really feel for local Comedy Impresario and legend, Rich Elwood.

Williams did a lot of stuff at Punchlines over the years, and I am sure Rich is really feeling this one.

Deep sympathies, my friend.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

The official statement from Robin's widow states that alcohol was not involved in his death:
Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road