Joe Cocker dead at 70

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Joe Cocker dead at 70

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70
22 December 2014 Last updated at 14:25 ET

The Sheffield born singer song-writer had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.

His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed he had died of an undisclosed illness.

He was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts," he added.

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.

He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one in 1968.

He performed the song at the famous Woodstock Festival in New York state a year later.

His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award in 1983.

He was made an OBE in 2007.

Last year his arena tour across Europe saw him achieve a number one album in Germany and give what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

Mr Marshall said it was with "the heaviest hearts we heard that our beloved Joe Cocker passed away last night".

"He was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain and remained the same man throughout his life."

He described Cocker as a "true star" who was also "a kind and humble man who loved to perform".

"Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him," he added.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Joe Cocker dead at 70

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 pm

This is another signpost for the Woodstock Generation, that time is starting to catch up with the cohort, just like everyone else.

I never met Cocker - but I asked Jennifer Warnes about him and she said he was " a true gentleman and an unbelievably talented and generous performer".

One of my dearest memories of the Film - "Woodstock" - was Joe in his blue boots with silver stars, and singing his a** off.

RIP, and THANK YOU, Mr. Cocker - we will miss you.

Sir Paul McCartney said he would be "forever grateful" to Cocker for turning With A Little Help From My Friends into a "soul anthem".
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:12 am

If it's been awhile since you "tuned it up", I'd recommend a visit to the Mad Dogs and Englishmen vids available on Youtube.
I did, a week or so ago (like I had a premonition you'd think) and was reminded how good he was at that pinnacle of his performing career. Songs like The Letter, Cry me a River? Holy smokes! Didn't hurt to be surrounded by the talent that contributed to that album either.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:38 am

As Columbo used to say: "uuuh, just one more thing"
This is Joe singing his sack off on Delta Lady. The song ends just before the 4 minute mark with Joe wrung out and dripping..and then..Leon Russell begins a vamp on the piano to start up yet another chorus. Joe gives him a look as if to say: "..are you #@$%-ing kidding me!"...but, off we go. The song ends a second time but...wait for it...Leon does it again! The second look on Joe Cocker's face is priceless, but he answers the challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yo9EvSCHlY
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:17 pm

When this came out in 2004, I only ever heard it on CKUA and it immediately became my favourite Joe Cocker song, even though I'd always liked his previous work. Part of the reason, no doubt, is that I had never heard the original Rose Royce (or any other cover) version. Sadly, neither I nor the record distributor could get any other local station interested in playing it, despite repeated attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omrlfUTdqIs

Point being, he still had the chops at age 60.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road