Stan Freberg dead at 88

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Stan Freberg is Dead

Postby jon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Comedian and Voice Actor Stan Freberg Dies at 88
Pat Saperstein
Deputy Editor
Variety
April 7, 2015 | 02:10PM PT

Satirist Stan Freberg, who influenced generations with his witty comedy albums and cartoon voices and memorable advertising campaigns, died Tuesday in Santa Monica. He was 88 and had been suffering from respiratory problems and pneumonia.

His son Donavan posted the news on his Facebook page, saying, “He was, and will always be, my hero, and I will carry his brilliant legacy forward as best I am able.”

The writer-producer crafted some of the funniest TV commercials of the 1960s and ’70s, including “Today the pits; tomorrow the wrinkles. Sunsweet marches on!,” and Contadina’s “Who put eight great tomatoes in that little bitty can?”

He also scored such novelty-record hits as “John and Marsha,” “Saint George and the Dragonet” and “Green Christmas.” His 1961 comedy album “Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America” remains a classic of the form and an influence for a generation of comedians.

Freberg produced the Emmy-winning kids puppet show “Time for Beany” — Albert Einstein was said to be a fan during his years at CalTech — and he hosted numerous variety series and specials on TV and radio.

Among the many characters he voiced were Junyer Bear in “What’s Brewin’, Bruin” and the voice of Beaky Buzzard. For Disney, he voiced Beaver in “Lady and the Tramp” and Wile E. Coyote’s father Cage in the short “Little Go Beep.” He auditioned to play C-3PO in “Star Wars,” but actor Anthony Daniels ended up doing his own voice.

His live-action acting included roles in “The Monkees,” “The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.,” the role of Mr. Parkin on “Roseanne” and “The Weird Al Show.” His “Stan Freberg Show” on radio was controversial for several reasons, including the fact that he refused to accept tobacco companies as sponsors.

Born in Pasadena, Calif., he started voicing Warner Bros. cartoons such as “Roughly Squeaking” and “It’s a Grand Old Nag” as soon as he graduated from high school. He continued working well into his ’80s and released an album, “Songs in the Key of Freberg,” with his wife in 2010.

He is survived by his wife Hunter, son Donavan and daughter Donna Jean.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Stan Freberg is Dead

Postby jon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Nice that Stan go to live long enough to see Pay Radio actually become a success. I bought his version of Pay Radio in the '60s: an LP he issued as a radio show you paid for.

As I recall, Stan was credited for having the last U.S. Network Radio Show, in the OTR sense, lasting until about 1964. Yes, you could still hear Art Linkletter do "House Party" on KIRO-710 and other CBS Radio stations until the late 1960s, but it was merely the soundtrack of the TV show. Stan had still be doing a stand-alone radio show, simply because he loved Radio so much.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Stan Freberg dead at 88

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Stan Freberg's "Who listens to radio?" really is theatre of the mind.... a great bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4e59yZExk
Here is a link to a You Tube page featuring several of his creative bits.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... n+freeberg
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Stan Freberg dead at 88

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I had that tape and used it when no one was watching (lol) wk and or thought it added something to my lack luster performance.

Great radio - thanks Stan

you are dead, radio is dead ( I thunk )

Yes critics I am so old I can hardly get to the car radio and dial CBC :towel:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road