Cilla Black dead at 72

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Cilla Black dead at 72

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 am

Cilla Black, singer and TV star, dies in Spain aged 72

2 August 2015

Singer and TV star Cilla Black, who enjoyed a 50-year showbusiness career, has died aged 72, her agent has said.

The 1960s singing star became a popular TV celebrity on such shows as Blind Date and Surprise Surprise.

Spanish police said a woman named Priscilla White - Black's real name - had died in Estepona on the Costa del Sol, where the star had a home.

The death appeared to be due to natural causes, but this had not yet been confirmed by tests, police said.

"It is with deep sorrow that I confirm... the passing of singer and TV personality Cilla Black," said her agent, Nick Fiveash.

"Details of her death will be announced following the coroner's report. Her family have asked for their privacy to be respected at this time."

Prime Minister David Cameron has paid tribute to the entertainer, remembering her as "a huge talent who made a significant contribution to public life".

Tributes have also been paid by her friends from the world of entertainment.

"I am so sad and shocked by news about my good friend Cilla," tweeted Dame Joan Collins. "She was a resplendent and rare talent."

"Such a shock to hear about Cilla's passing," said Sir Paul McCartney. "She was a lovely girl who infected everyone with her great spirit.

"From first meeting her as a cloak room girl at the Cavern in Liverpool, to seeing her many times since, she always had a fun-loving dignity that made her a great pleasure to be around."

Sir Bruce Forsyth said Black would be "sadly missed", while presenter Christopher Biggins described her as a "national treasure".

Broadcaster Noel Edmonds told BBC Radio 5 live she "captured the hearts of the British people" because "she was our Cilla - there were no airs and graces".

Songwriter Burt Bacharach, who worked with Black, said: "It will always be a most special memory for me of recording her on Alfie in Abbey Road Studios in 1965."

Other tributes have come from comedian Jimmy Tarbuck, who said she had "warmth in bundles", and Ringo Starr, who remembered her as "a good friend".

Des O'Connor called her "a very special lady", while broadcaster Gloria Hunniford - who saw Black two weeks ago at a friend's barbeque - called her "a true icon".

Dale Winton said Black had been "a dear and close friend" and "the most loyal person", as well as a "true 'star' and genuine national icon".

Read the full story at: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33751060
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Cilla Black dead at 72

Postby jon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47 am

I'd heard the story years ago, but forgotten the exact details on how Ms. White became Ms. Black. I found them in Bob Spitz's book "The Beatles: The Biography".

Bob says that Bill Harry wrote an article about her in the first edition of Mersey Beat, and got her name wrong. She read the article and decided that that wrong name, Cilla Black, sounded better than Cilla White, and began using it as her stage name.

If you listened to Vancouver radio during the British Invasion, you would have heard three of her songs on CFUN, where they did much better than on Billboard or RPM.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Cilla Black dead at 72

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:35 pm

You could make a movie about Ms. Black's life.

She was the cloakroom girl, at the Cavern, while the Beatles were the house band - then wound up being managed (for a while) by Brian Epstein and she became a beloved figure in the UK and Europe.

Another signpost on the highway - the Sixties were a long time ago.

RIP, Ms. Black - and condolences to her Family and friends (McCartney and Starr were still close friends - and have tweeted how upset they are).
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road