RIP "Frozen Orange Juice" "Where Do You Go to My Lovely?"

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

RIP "Frozen Orange Juice" "Where Do You Go to My Lovely?"

Postby jon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 am

'Where Do You Go to My Lovely?' Singer Peter Sarstedt dead
by World Entertainment News Network
Sunday, January 8th 2017

(WENN) — Singer-songwriter Peter Sarstedt has died, aged 75.

Sarstedt, best known for the song "Where Do You Go to My Lovely?," has lost a six-year battle with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, according to a statement released by his family on Sunday.

His beloved 1969 ballad, which earned him an Ivor Novello award, hit number one on the U.K. singles chart in February 1969, and spent four weeks at the top. It was replaced by Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine."

Sarstedt also scored hits with "Frozen Orange Juice" and "Take Off Your Clothes."

Born in Delhi, India in 1941, his parents were both classically trained musicians. The family returned to Britain in 1954.

His brothers, Richard and Clive, formed a popular skiffle group, and Richard went on to enjoy pop success as Eden Kane in the 1960s.

After his own flash of fame, Peter spent many years living in Denmark, and continued to record and release albums until the early 2000s.

His final album was 2013's "Restless Heart." Later that year he was admitted to a retirement home in Sussex, England, as his brain disorder became more severe.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: RIP "Frozen Orange Juice" "Where Do You Go to My Lovely?

Postby jon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 am

A Seattle friend noticed this on the KOMO News web site.

He recalled, quite correctly, that I was a real fan of "One More Frozen Orange Juice" when it came out in June/July 1969. My guess is that I first heard it on CFUN just before they changed to CKVN, when they still had great DJs like JB Shane, Fred Latrimouille and Al Jordan, but were playing "Chicken Rock" as we called it at the time.

I'm not sure, but suspect that CHQM was playing "Frozen Orange Juice" when I entered their hallowed halls (inside joke as the on-air part of the building had a strange muddled feel to it because it was put together from 2-3 different previous occupants' space). It peaked at #116 on the Billboard Hot 100.

"Where Do You Go to My Lovely?" was better known. CKLG-AM played it for a while. Both songs were big hits in England.

Warning: I have not heard any of these songs since the early 1970s, so I cannot promise that they have aged gracefully.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm

jon wrote:"Where Do You Go to My Lovely?" was better known. CKLG-AM played it for a while. Both songs were big hits in England.

Warning: I have not heard any of these songs since the early 1970s, so I cannot promise that they have aged gracefully.

I used to hear that song a lot on Shaw TV in the 1980s to the mid-'90s as part of the background music for its community bulletin board during the channel's off-hours.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Finally tracked down "Frozen Orange Juice". Fred played it as his first song on his last show on CFUN before it became CKVN.

I got thoroughly confused this morning when I was writing the initial post, as the only version of the song that I could find that was listed by Peter Sarstedt was some awful cover using a harpsicord and a guy with an awful voice. On YouTube, where all copies of the real song were shutdown by Warners on copyright infringement.

In my view, the original version, which can be sampled on amazon.com, still stands up quite well through the passing of time.
https://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Orange-Ju ... 00681BX9W/
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road