Peter Steele Dead

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Peter Steele Dead

Postby Steve Sanderson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

From the CNM news network.

Peter Steele Dead – Type O Negative Frontman Dies – Cause of Death Heart Failure. It’s another sad day. Singer Peter Steele died at the age of 48. Preliminary autopsy results indicate that the Type O Negative singer/bassist died from heart failure, although a full autopsy will be performed and the results will be given in a few weeks.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Re: Peter Steele Dead

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 am

Who??? :?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Who??? :?

Ask Mrs. P.
:shock:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:00 am

You mean this Peter Steele ?

Sorry, Sandy-man, not one of my hearthrobs ... I know nothing about him ... or his music ... metal is not my cup of tea.

Mrs. P.

Peter Steele ... in his younger days

1962 ~ 2010

R.I.P.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:24 am

sandclan wrote:

Ask Mrs. P.

Mr Sandclan. I have noticed you are very good at passing the buck (above) or simply not answering questions (Blue-Green men at GM Place) Are you a government employee?
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 am

jawbone wrote:
sandclan wrote:

Ask Mrs. P.

Mr Sandclan. I have noticed you are very good at passing the buck (above) or simply not answering questions (Blue-Green men at GM Place) Are you a government employee?

No....I'm retired.
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 am

An ex GF's 20 something,live-at-home son had a thing for Steele's band in the mid 90s, and once came home wearing died,mowhawked hair,eyeshadow and fingernail polish ala his idol. His mom eeked, freaked and decended on him with a scrubrush. We didn't hear from him for a few days...lol.

Now,about those blue/green guys climbing the penalty box glass.:sad8: :sad8:

.I saw them in the first Kings/Canucks game, and thought WTF? So, what's the deal with the dudes in the clingy costumes? Heard a tv guy saying they were a couple of UBC students.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 am

This article might have some of the answers...
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/Gre ... story.html

( Jawbone....I'm passing the buck again! )
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 am

Thanx Sandy. Now,if only the rest of the national viewing audience could be brought up to speed.... :alien: :alien:
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 am

Metal Obit: Peter Steele 1962-2010

April 18, 12:29 PM

Art Michalski - Detroit Metal Music Examiner

The towering 6' 7" Steele in concert in 2007

The metal world was shocked to learn the news of the death of Type O Negative frontman Peter Steele on April 14th, due to most likely heart failure. Born Petrus Ratajcyzk, the man would later become Peter Steele first came to underground prominence in the late 80’s thrash band Carnivore before forming Type O Negative and experienced underground success, as well as some mainstream rock success with the 1994 release of their album “Bloody Kisses”, which became the first gold record for Roadrunner Records (but definitely not the last one for the label).

The goth leaning Type O Negative won over a very loyal legion of fans and their love all things dark and moody. Steele had one of the most chilling and haunting vocals in heavy music and remained strong through the band’s presumably last release, 2007’s “Dead Again”. But even as the band delved in haunting lyrics, the band’s music always seemed to have a tongue in cheek factor and always provided of a bit of sense of humor to the music.

Steele even jokingly posted his own obituary in 2005, when fans first heard news of Steele’s supposed passing. That time, it was a joke played by the band’s new label at the time, SPV Records, to announce the signing of the band. When most of us heard the news on April 14th, in some morbid humorous way- we hoped it was a joke once again. After the stories of Steele’s battle with depression over the years and how he had found peace presumably through religion or other factors, we hoped the news weren’t true, but unfortunately this time, the news was true.

Steele and Type O Negative were one of those bands that I listened to in the band’s “Bloody Kisses” heyday, lost track of them for a few years, only to rekindle my interest in them in the past 5 years of so. Over the years, I had seen the band 3 or 4 times, mostly at Harpo's and got a good feel for the band live. Getting to see the band in 2007 at Harpo’s during the “Dead Again” tour, you saw Steele’s towering 6'7" presence and knew after all the years, Type O Negative and Steele seemed still like a well oiled metal machine.

Now, we can only go back and reminiscence about Steele’s musical legacy, which for metalheads, should be vast and full of intriguing stories about one of the most enigmatic and intriguing figures in metal.
Peter Steele, you will be missed…

- 2010 -
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:35 am

Peter Steele: The humor behind the somber image

By Lisa Rose/The Star-Ledger , New Jersey

April 17, 2010, 6:22PM

Peter Steele, was the lead singer, bassist, and composer for the gothic metal band Type O Negative. He died earlier this week of heart failure at 48. The following is an interview that Star-Ledger staff writer Lisa Rose had with the musician on November 12, 2000.

The power of Negative thinking Don't be fooled by the frowns, black-on-black garb and soul-wracking lyrics, there is a lighter side to Type O Negative. Lead singer-bassist Peter Steele feels most listeners miss the dust-dry humor behind the somber image.

"People don't get the joke, which is that we think we're the joke," said Steele, 38, on the phone from a Cleveland tour stop.

The Brooklyn metal act's just-released career retrospective disc, "The Least Worst of Type O Negative," celebrates a decade of sarcasm. The opening track is 39 seconds of quiet titled "The Misinterpretation of Silence and It's Disastrous Consequences (Wombs and Tombs Mix)."

"Everyone is doing these tribute albums so we decided to do a Type O Negative tribute album - by Type O Negative," said Steele, a Playgirl model and former N.Y.C. sanitation worker.

The record includes alt-radio hits "Christian Woman" and "Black No. 1," as well as anti-anthems like "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity." While their 2 rpm rendition of Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" isn't included on the comp, there is "Hey Pete," a steele-centric twist on the classic rock standard "Hey Joe." They do Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath," as told from Satan's point of view.

Live, the band is focusing on material from their 1999 "World Coming Down" album. The sound - lush keyboards, Texas chainsaw guitars and Steele's Outer Borough baritone - is vintage Type O. But the words are something of a departure, mourning late relatives rather than dead relationships and long-lost Goth chicks.

"I have to disassociate myself from what (the songs are) about so I don't get too depressed and crack up on stage," said Steele. "When I wrote songs like 'Everyone I Love is Dead,' I never thought about how I was going to execute them live."

Steele, who credits Black Sabbath and the Beatles as key inspirations, recently co-wrote the song "Just Say No To Love" with Tony Iommi for the Black Sabbath guitarist's solo record.

"I felt like a big kid," said Steele. "To be writing music with him, I was awestruck. I was stuttering. I've loved Sabbath since I was 15. I like that slow, heavy sound. Grinding, churning stuff. Ozzy (Osbourne) sounded like the ultimate outcast and I didn't fit in too well in high school with the nerds, the jocks or the cool jeans."

The singer lambastes rap-metal and said his record collection pauses at the mid-1980's.

"I think all recent music sucks, and that includes Type O Negative," Steele deadpanned.

- 2010 -
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 am

The New York Times reports long-term substance abuse ... which he was, reportedly, finally cleaning up from ... others are reporting a long-time 'death obsession' ... at least according to the songs he was writing ...

Sad, sad, sad.

( posted for you by Mrs. P. )
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road