Leslie Nielsen dead at 84

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Leslie Nielsen dead at 84

Postby radiofan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Naked Gun actor Leslie Nielsen dies in Florida hospital at age 84
By: The Canadian Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Leslie Nielsen, who went from drama to inspired bumbling as a hapless doctor in "Airplane!" and the accident-prone detective Frank Drebin in the "The Naked Gun" comedies, has died. He was 84.

His agent John S. Kelly says Nielsen died Sunday at a hospital near his home in Ft. Lauderdale where he was being treated for pneumonia.

Nephew Doug Nielsen, who lives in Richmond, B.C., says his uncle had been hospitalized for about the past 12 days and died in his sleep.

Friends and wife, Barbaree, were by the Regina-born actor's side.

Nielsen came to Hollywood in the mid-1950s after performing in 150 live television dramas in New York. With a craggily handsome face, blond hair and 6-foot-2 height, he seemed ideal for a movie leading man.

He quickly became known as a serious actor, although behind the camera he was a prankster. That was an aspect of his personality never exploited, however, until "Airplane!" was released in 1980 and became a huge hit.

Nielsen was in more than 100 films, including the 2002 film "Men With Broom," co-starring Paul Gross. In recent years, he appeared on the Canadian TV series "Robson Arms."

He had stars on both Hollywood's and Canada's Walk of Fame.

He was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... 47639.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Leslie Nielsen dead at 84

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:53 pm

84 is a good age, but to me, he was one of those guys you'd thought would live forever.
Never knew his work as a dramatic actor, just his later years doing comedy with brilliant timing.
He will be missed!!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:84 is a good age, but to me, he was one of those guys you'd thought would live forever.
Never knew his work as a dramatic actor, just his later years doing comedy with brilliant timing.
He will be missed!!

You mean you never saw "Forbidden Planet?" Mind you Leslie was upstaged a lot by Robbie the Robot... but still Russ... Forbidden Planet? You gotta see it! :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Leslie Nielsen was one of the first names I would have given you in the '70s if you asked me to name a Canadian actor who had made a success in Hollywood. His film and TV credits seemed to be in the hundreds already then. You'd be watching a 10 year old movie or a current TV episode and there he was as a character actor or guest star.

When I married in the '70s, my wife talked about the starring roles that she knew him from: the Swamp Fox series of Disney movies. Nielsen did 8 of them from 1959-61. I've seen some over the intervening years, but somehow missed them the first time around.

My first job after graduating from UBC was in Yellowknife, and I was soon working weekends and evenings at CFYK-AM (CBC). Leslie Nielsen was an occasional topic of conversation because he was raised in what was then known as Fort Norman, also in the NWT.

Sorry to lose him.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm

CubbyCam wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote:84 is a good age, but to me, he was one of those guys you'd thought would live forever.
He will be missed!!

You mean you never saw "Forbidden Planet?" Mind you Leslie was upstaged a lot by Robbie the Robot... but still Russ... Forbidden Planet? You gotta see it! :-)

Hmmm... must be an 'old' movie. ;) Will I have to find a projector?
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:
CubbyCam wrote:
He will be missed!!

Hmmm... must be an 'old' movie. ;) Will I have to find a projector?

Great show Russ..."Warning! Warning! Warning Will Robinson!" Oh...Wrong show! Never mind!
:wink:
Leslie Nielsen was a very funny man, he will be missed.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm

In one of my post radio jobs I worked as a chuaffeur for a limo company that did all the elite movie studio work in town. I remember about 15 years ago being sent to the Four Seasons to get Mr. Neilson.
He went for Thanksgiving dinner at his brother's house in Richmond.

He was quiet on he way there , but on the way home he was quite hilarious chatting me up (perhaps he had a drink or two in him by then?). He had me in stitches talking about religion.

He was always one of my favorite actors; Airplane IS my favorite movie of all time. Needless to say I was excited to meet him. Mr. Neilson was so sincere and down-to-earth.

LESLIE HAD NO INTEREST IN SITTING IN THE BACK OF THE LIMO BUT CLIMBED INTO THE PASSENGER SEAT TO RIDE ALL THE WAY THERE AND BACK BESIDE ME.
What a memory of a class act.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Here's the story from the Edmonton Journal:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/Leslie+Nielsen+star+Naked+films+dead/3897546/story.html

The above story mentioned that Neilsen spent some time working at a "Calgary radio station." As it was a bit before my time, I vaguely recall that station as being the former CJCJ (later becoming CKXL). I'd appreciate hearing more about that from anyone who may be in the know.

Neilsen's deadpan comedy roles were always flat out LOL hilarious. He'll be missed.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Heaven just became a funnier place today! Happily, he left a large comic movie legacy. RIP Leslie! :(
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Mediatype » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 am

I too love all the Frank Drebin movies. Who can forget Leslie Nielsen as the hapless cop on the baseball field playing the umpire or singing the national anthem. After 33 1/3 I met Leslie as he was doing a dramatic family fair movie (1994) called "Digger". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106722/ He bounced around doing comedy and drama in the same year it seemed if you check out the extensive bio. I remember that they had added quite a few coats of paint to the floors of two studios at CHEK TV and built several sets there. There were several other locations in and around Victoria I believe. I think I still have an old pair of his socks in one of my drawers from that movie. They always have extras. A very tall person. That's my local bit for Leslie. You gotta like a guy with a geniune sense of humour.
'Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy and step in elephant poop.'
Mediatype
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 pm

jon wrote:My first job after graduating from UBC was in Yellowknife, and I was soon working weekends and evenings at CFYK-AM (CBC). Leslie Nielsen was an occasional topic of conversation because he was raised in what was then known as Fort Norman, also in the NWT.

Tomorrow morning's Hicks on Six in the Edmonton Sun clearly indicates that Nielsen's time in the NWT was overstated:
"Overlooked in most tributes to the late Leslie Nielsen was his proud Edmonton heritage. He moved here at four, graduated from Victoria High School in 1942 (Arthur Hiller was a year behind, Joe Shoctor a friend) then headed to the USA to act. Leslie returned with regularity to host events, make films and be a celebrity guest. One of the nicest guys you could hope to meet."

groundwave wrote:Here's the story from the Edmonton Journal:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/Leslie+Nielsen+star+Naked+films+dead/3897546/story.html

The above story mentioned that Neilsen spent some time working at a "Calgary radio station." As it was a bit before my time, I vaguely recall that station as being the former CJCJ (later becoming CKXL). I'd appreciate hearing more about that from anyone who may be in the know.

I stumbled on to the story several years ago, and here is a quick summary from Norm Pringle: "I discovered Les in the early 1940s when Les missed a streetcar. Les had 20 minutes to kill so he wandered into the lobby of Radio Station CJCJ Calgary Canada and casually asked if there was an opening for a DJ. I auditioned him and hired Les a week later."
Only comment I would make is that this was likely the latter half of 1945 or sometime in 1946, as he served in World War II after graduating from high school in 1942, and went to Lorne Greene's broadcasting school after CJCJ and before his first television role in 1948 in the U.S.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 pm

That's basically the story I was curious about. Thanks so much Jon!
groundwave
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road