Remember Cheech and Chong?

Remember Cheech and Chong?

Postby bigbry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm

If you're old enough to remember them, then I hope you don't mind if I post this here. Here's my quick 5 min with Tommy Chong. We chat about his early music career and a bit more. Hope you get a kick out of this. I strangely got the munchies after the interview.
http://www.prx.org/p/69273
CHEERS
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Remember Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers?

Postby jon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Very nice piece. Especially liked the first part about Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.

Couple of things I would be interested in hearing bigbry expand upon:
  1. Last I heard, your features were being aired on Sirius/XM. How is that going? And are you getting any airplay on other radio stations?
  2. What hardware are you using to record phone calls?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Remember Cheech and Chong?

Postby bigbry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Jon...ya how many remember Taylor and the Vancouvers...ha ha big Motown stuff.
The show is getting alot of play on stations in England, Ireland and Southern Spain right now along with Ohio, Florida and the internet on comedy channels. Had interest from Premier Radio networks...but I can’t say any more right now. Been offering to Canadian stations, no bites but won’t give up.
Sirius/XM have been absolutely great. Getting lots of airplay there and a ton of feed back as well. Most of which has been good. In Canada they’ve been going through a bit of a change with lots of folks changing jobs.
As for the recording. It’s Skype to record then it goes into protools to edit, add SFX etc and add the intro and extro. I’m working toward a good phone patch right now. I hope you don’t think the quality sucks, Jon?
Thanks for your reply Jon
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Au contraire, I thought the phone quality was very good.

"Does Your Mother Know About Me?" is/was played in regular rotation by pretty much all of the Canadian Oldies stations that still cover the late 1960s. I've also heard it on one of the U.S. Sirius/XM channels, but I cannot remember if it was Soul Town, Sixties on Six, or both. I guess we can argue about semantics, given The Vancouvers were a mixed race group, but the only other "Black" pre-disco Canadian song that still gets airplay on Canadian Oldies stations is "When I Die" by Motherlode, though CISL used to play a personal favourite of mine, "Colors of Anyhow" by Beverly Glenn-Copeland. Has anyone heard "These Eyes" by Jr. Walker played as CanCon in the last 15 years? Great version!

Nice to hear you are getting some level of interest. Surprised it is such a hard sell in Canada. I thought a station like K-97 in Edmonton would be a great fit.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 am

Jon...AARG!...now you've got me looking for those songs. Thanks so much for your comments as well. It seems that Canadian stations don't want to stray from the cookie cutter in hand and think out of the box a bit. Where as US and European stations don't mind. Just my thoughts on the subject. All I can tell you is that "Hey Get Off My Lawn" is just a blast to produce and a real labor of love! The stations that I deal with every week are just as much fun.
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:11 am

While I know you don't need the strokes, Bry, I'm still offering a "Well done!"

Besides, if we need strokes, we can do them for ourselves - the visuals are better. :orclown:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:55 am

Right you are Pave! The visuals are better...ha ha ha Thanks buddy!
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:21 am

Just for a giggle, Here's Tommy Chong...pre Cheech in his music career... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3Gh6FspFQ
bigbry
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics