Burke Back

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:47 am

Headline:

returning to the boob tube is Jennifer Mather. Wife of ousted Canucks GM Brian Burke, the former CKVU, BCTV and CKNW personality will take up hosting duties for CBC television's new all-about-Vancouver lifestyles program Living Vancouver.

Going by her hubby's moniker, Jennifer Burke will, ironically, commute between Anaheim and Lotusland to work on the daily afternoon show beginning January 15th
at 1pm

Backgrounder:

Jennifer Mather, host of The Jennifer Mather Show on CKNW radio

Born: In London, England to a Chinese father and English mother. Her family moved to St. Louis for a year before settling in Vancouver.

Education: broadcast journalism program at BCIT. Her first job in the trade was as a technical producer at CKNW.

Parents' reaction: "My parents are proud of me, always have been. Like many Asian families, the standards and expectations are very high-perfection is the aspiration. My father would critique my performances on television-giving me advice on how to be an anchor, which I always thought was kind of funny."

Thoughts on Asians in the media: "Journalists should be [hired] based on their abilities, not just the colour of their skin. That being said, there's no question that in the Vancouver market, until recently, the wide variety of ethnicity has been underrepresented. Not necessarily by the people who tell the story-to me it doesn't matter if an Asian person or a white person or a Native American person is telling the story-the stories within those communities are now being told.... There may obviously be a better understanding from someone who comes from that background. And I believe that's what Channel M-the new multicultural station-is trying to address. But you would have to ask people of those ethnicities if they prefer watching their news from someone of the same [cultural] background."

"I would be disappointed to learn if I was given a job ever in my past 20-year career based on my gender or ethnicity."
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 am

Top Dog wrote: Image

TV face returns

and Brian?

I assume the kid is coming home too.

Backgrounder:

ennifer Mather, host of The Jennifer Mather Show on CKNW radio

Born: In London, England to a Chinese father and English mother. Her family moved to St. Louis for a year before settling in Vancouver.

Education: broadcast journalism program at BCIT. Her first job in the trade was as a technical producer at CKNW.

Parents' reaction: "My parents are proud of me, always have been. Like many Asian families, the standards and expectations are very high-perfection is the aspiration. My father would critique my performances on television-giving me advice on how to be an anchor, which I always thought was kind of funny."

Thoughts on Asians in the media: "Journalists should be [hired] based on their abilities, not just the colour of their skin. That being said, there's no question that in the Vancouver market, until recently, the wide variety of ethnicity has been underrepresented. Not necessarily by the people who tell the story-to me it doesn't matter if an Asian person or a white person or a Native American person is telling the story-the stories within those communities are now being told.... There may obviously be a better understanding from someone who comes from that background. And I believe that's what Channel M-the new multicultural station-is trying to address. But you would have to ask people of those ethnicities if they prefer watching their news from someone of the same [cultural] background."

"I would be disappointed to learn if I was given a job ever in my past 20-year career based on my gender or ethnicity."

36? I don't think so!
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 am

article from august 05/04 "X" - my apologies - she would be about 38.5 now

A dual citizen of the United States and Canada [1], Brian Burke is married to Jennifer Mather, a popular TV and radio journalist in Vancouver. They have 2 young daughters, Mairin and Fiona Grace.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:46 am

Top Dog wrote: - she would be about 38.5 now

Wasn't she originally Jennifer Lowe at Rock 101?

As for her age .. 38 1/2 Cdn, 44.25 US

And according to the story in The Sun today, she starts this coming Monday, the 8th.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:30 am

kat

I don't have the benefit of the Sun story living in the boonies but both the cbc and the courier said the 15th thereabouts - cbc the 15th and courier said mid month.

could the sun be wrong? lets wait for Monday - I can.

secondly on the bcit bit I can find no trace of jennifer lowe or jennifer mather on
a list of grads in the 86-87 period

vancouverbroadcasters.com called her a bcit trainee and she may have got her first
job before graduating which can work for some talented people.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:38 am

Top Dog wrote: kat

I don't have the benefit of the Sun story living in the boonies but both the cbc and the courier said the 15th thereabouts - cbc the 15th and courier said mid month.

could the sun be wrong? lets wait for Monday - I can.

secondly on the bcit bit I can find no trace of jennifer lowe or jennifer mather on
a list of grads in the 86-87 period

vancouverbroadcasters.com called her a bcit trainee and she may have got her first
job before graduating which can work for some talented people.

So what brings her back to these parts? Are she and Mr. Giggles finished?
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 am

VANCOUVER - The broadcaster formerly known as Jennifer Mather is back in Vancouver from Los Angeles and will be on local TV screens daily starting next week.

She's host of a new half-hour lifestyle show on CBC-TV called Living Vancouver -- which premieres Monday afternoon and will run weekdays.

And she's now Jennifer Burke, as in Brian Burke, her husband who is general manger of the National Hockey League's Anaheim Ducks.

Jennifer Burke will divide her week between Vancouver -- where she will work 3 1/2 days a week at CBC -- and Los Angeles, where her husband lives with their two young girls, Mairin, three and Fiona, one.

"I was really homesick, I know that," said Burke about her decision to come back to Vancouver. "I have friends and family here. I have a home here. You realize once you leave Vancouver what a unique city it is."

Burke worked for many years at Global BC (formerly BCTV) as a reporter and news anchor. She was last heard in Vancouver as an afternoon talk show host at CKNW radio -- a job she quit in 2005 after Brian Burke was hired by the Mighty Ducks, a year after being fired as general manager by the Vancouver Canucks.

The Burkes moved to Los Angeles and live in an Orange County suburb.

Burke said she and her husband had talked about her returning to work after the birth of their youngest child --"although this was a little earlier than I planned."

As well, she added, the couple regard Vancouver as their hometown -- the place they will live whenever Brian Burke leaves the Ducks.

When a friend at the CBC approached her about working for Living Vancouver, Burke decided she was ready to come back to the Vancouver media scene.

"I was presented with this amazing opportunity. Who could not jump at a chance to showcase the city?"

She described her new position as "a tour guide to living well in Vancouver."

She said her children are old enough now that she feels comfortable returning to work. She said they have a nanny in Los Angeles and that Brian Burke will adjust his schedule for his "Mr. Mom" duties.

Some weeks the two girls will accompany her to Vancouver.

Burke said her show will examine a wide range of topics about life in Vancouver, ranging from distinct neighbourhoods, such as Little India on Main Street, the city's love affair with dogs, trends such as women drinking scotch, and how supermarkets have become the new pickup spots for singles.

Burke said neither she nor the CBC is concerned about any loss of name recognition given that she used Mather -- the name of her former husband -- for many years in Vancouver.

dward@png.canwest.com

? The Vancouver Sun 2007
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:46 pm

don't know who 'voice over' is but d'other folk now have the burke mather story - the story of a happy homemaker in Anaheim who got lonely for the rain and the snow capped peaks of Vancouver......

so she is doing it for nothing?

give it a year and she might be on cable 4
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:12 pm

kat wrote:Wasn't she originally Jennifer Lowe at Rock 101?

I thought it was "Lo".

Nice Santa kittens, btw, Kat.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:34 pm

She was Jenny Lo when I worked alongside her in the newsroom at Mcbride in what seems
to feel like '88 or '89. She was doing CFMI news and I was doing the weekend
sports shift, which was I believe from something ridiculous like 6Am to 6 pm
in those days, if memory serves.

lp
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:30 am

glaherty wrote: I was doing the weekend
sports shift, which was I believe from something ridiculous like 6Am to 6 pm
in those days, if memory serves.

lp

Lee, you should have had John Martin's weekend morning shift at 'OR. I'd guess it was supposed to be 4a to noon but it usually started at 6:05 a.m., when John would stumble through the door and read the sportscast I prepared for him because I knew he'd be late.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:16 am

Lee....6am to 6pm was the norm in those days.....that was my shift and then some...5.30am to 6.30pm, plus cover hockey or football or whatever in the evening....plus whatever went on Saturday and/or Sunday. I guess things have become humane nowadays.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 am

Getting back to the topic - who the hell is going to watch this program and why is the CBC wasting our tax dollars on it??

Features on Vancouver's neighbourhoods and dogs - give me a break!
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Maybe there is an upcoming session of mat leave that is part of the equation.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:40 pm

I also did the sports all day from 6-6 on a weekday at NW at one point in that
era...Dave (Hodge) was away somewhere, Neil was too, that left me to do every
cast that day, wouldn't likely happen anymore. They were still better than my
Brandon hours at CKX in 83-86: Morning Radio 5:30 to noon, do noon radio
and TV, afternoon radio , supper TV, Wheatkings play by play (often in Regina,
Winnipeg, the Hat etc.) then back in to do it over. I was sports director in a
two man department, Chris Sedens and Keith Mcmahon were my two assistants
at various times, but when either of us took holidays, the other did every shift.
I guess we all have those stories, as per what John says, it has improved
somewhat, but I've still seen some long hours pulled in recent decades by
WX, NW and yes 1040 types, sometimes even yours truly.
It's like the Monty Python skit, we were so poor, we had to eat dirt and
live in the lake.......
glaherty
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics