Scary Election Day In Alberta

Scary Election Day In Alberta

Postby 45 RPM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 pm

If anyone in Alberta hasn't ead this article yet, please do before you mark you "X".

This Danielle Smith and her followers are downright scary. They make Preston Manning's reform party look like geniuses.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/20/sm ... w.facebook
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Re: Scary Election Day In Alberta

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

Anyone know where the party money is coming from ?

Rule #1, follow the money trail to find the source, and who will gain the most.
PMC

Postby hagopian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am

Follow the money indeed. Look at is what happening in other jurisdictions - people are fed up with the status quo and when the economy tanks - that's when we get freaks running the asylum. Strange Days indeed. Think of all the backroom deals that will collapse, when scoundrels are run out of City Halls and Parliaments all over the world.

Look at what is happening in France! Le Pen is to the right of Atilla the Hun and she is scoring.

It shall be an interesting summer.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 pm

There is a Calgary wildrose candidate who bills himself as a psychotherapist and actually has a practise and patients. His degree is from an unaccredited little college in California. He doesn't have a license to practise psychology because "he never really needed one". I'd say he's pretty much the poster boy for wildrose post-secondary education. Scary day indeed!
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Whoa!
Did the pollsters and pundits ever get it wrong.

A strong TORY majority!

Everyone can stand down.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm

AMEN!

There's still some sanity in Wild Rose Country!
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 pm

What an election.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 am

The Calgary Herald's Don Braid named it: "....the most spectacular salvage operation since the discovery of the Titanic".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:20 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:The Calgary Herald's Don Braid named it: "....the most spectacular salvage operation since the discovery of the Titanic".

In addition to the badly flawed polls, the Herald's Don Braid, all of Sun Media, and Dave "I'm not biased" Rutherford all got it very wrong. The noise from their tapdancing today is giving me a headache. It's been clear for months - and in some cases years - that formerly thoughtful mediasts were torquing a Wildrose story that wasn't really there. Now they're desperately searching for someone to blame for their tunnel vision. In a few days they might figure it out and point their fingers at each other!
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 am

After the above comment I had to come out of stealth mode.

Isthisthingon has identified what could be the real story of this election, but I would take it a step further. The Herald and QR/Rutherford have also shilled or backed three other losers:

Dinning (lost leadership to Stelmach)
McIver/Higgins (they waffled between the two until Higgins imploded when faced with a tough question - and they missed Nenshi)
Morton ( lost leadership to Redford )

Might be time for the media to disconnect from Rod Love and the Calgary School.

And I think the boys at X92 might have woke up this morning and thought that maybe, just maybe they should stick to music and leave politics to other folks.

<<Cloaking On>>
<<Shazam>>
<<Puff of smoke>>
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:06 am

I haven't found the election results to prove it, but my guess is that this is the first time since the Tories came to power in 1971 that more Alberta voters (56%) voted against them than for them.

That (winner has a minority of poplar vote) may be the Norm in Federal elections and most other provincial elections, but almost all of Alberta's elections have been a one party sweep.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am

This will probably be Rutherford's last election. He's got to be on the doorstep of 65 and with brother Doug out of the picture, it's time for Dave to hang up his headphones.

I'm sure his throat would appreciate the rest, he's sounding like a very old man these days.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am

The chart at http://www.electionalmanac.com/ea/alber ... e-results/ might help with Jon's hypothesis.

I'm still doing the math and looking closely at 1989 and 1993 results to see if the data support Jon.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:48 am

Havin' dun gradumenated thurd grade (and having some very slow math skills . . .) -

I think 1989, 1993 and 2004 saw more Alberta voters vote against the PCs than for them.

Alberta PC share of poplular vote by election -

1989 44.3%

1993 44.5%

2004 46.8%
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Cliff Bashly Kinkade wrote:After the above comment I had to come out of stealth mode.

Isthisthingon has identified what could be the real story of this election, but I would take it a step further. The Herald and QR/Rutherford have also shilled or backed three other losers:

Dinning (lost leadership to Stelmach)
McIver/Higgins (they waffled between the two until Higgins imploded when faced with a tough question - and they missed Nenshi)
Morton ( lost leadership to Redford )

Might be time for the media to disconnect from Rod Love and the Calgary School.

And I think the boys at X92 might have woke up this morning and thought that maybe, just maybe they should stick to music and leave politics to other folks.

<<Cloaking On>>
<<Shazam>>
<<Puff of smoke>>

QR & CHED Rutherford was mighty vocal in his self-described unbiased shilling for Gary Mar in the leadership campaign. This morning he was in full bitterness mode, and went after Raj Sherman (on air by phone) for suggesting he might be a right wing, knuckle-dragging bigot. I have to agree with some other posters here who suggest Rutherford's run may be ending. He sure isn't making any friends in government.

On a related note: are there CRTC or Elections Act criteria about blatantly promoting a particular political viewpoint ahead of others?
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics