Brand new billion dollar bridge closed by falling ice...

Brand new billion dollar bridge closed by falling ice...

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Not radio, I know, but...
How much of our tax money did they pay for this new bridge and its fancy design... and those highly paid engineers never anticipated this possibility of falling ice when they angled the suspension cables directly over the bridge deck?
Bloody brilliant!
Twits!

From Global TV
Port Mann Bridge closed in both directions due to falling ice and snow; two people injured
Global News : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:00 AM

The new billion-dollar Port Mann Bridge has been closed in both directions indefinitely due to falling ice and snow.

There are reports two people have been injured with non-life-threatening injuries, and approximately five vehicles have been hit.

"The closure was necessary because falling ice from the bridge injured a motorist who required ambulance attendance, and damaged vehicles," said Sergeant Peter Thiessen, spokesperson for LMD Traffic Services in a release. "The bridge was closed for safety reasons, and will be re-opened as soon as the weather situation improves."

An engineer is currently assessing the bridge, and it will only be reopened after the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, in consultation with the RCMP, determines it is safe.

Global News has received several tweets from drivers saying that “ice bombs” have been falling and causing serious damage to their vehicles.

Catherine was a passenger in her work vehicle driving across the Port Mann Bridge when a chuck of ice hit the back of the vehicle. "Suddenly there was a big smash," she said. "I think it's just dented on the roof. It was crazy."

She said cars were stopped everywhere on the bridge as well.

Other motorists have had their windshields smashed, hoods dented and mirrors damaged.

Drive BC is advising commuters to take alternate routes such as the Patullo Bridge or the Golden Ears Bridge until an assessment can be completed.

They are estimating the bridge will open between 4 and 6 p.m.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: Brand new billion dollar bridge closed by falling ice...

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally the bridge wasn't slated to be opened until 2013. I'm wondering if Christie Clark's hastiness to cut the ribbon early to impress the elecorate before May might be partially responsible for this (ie-incomplete engineering studies and testing for flaws).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Now, that is the most ridiculous lefty spin I've ever read. :lol:
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:56 am

Ridiculous? What I find ridiculous is the fact this little bimbo is throwing away 64 million bucks of B.C. taxpayers money on her propaganda ad campaign but couldn't find the money to provide the promised transit service in its entirety over the new bridge.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:19 pm

meanwhile...

Good to see the company that runs the bridge won't be charging tolls for the 'danger period', and will be covering the deductibles for people's cars were damaged.
That's doing the right thing.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Maybe Highways needs to make up some new signage for the multi-billion dollar bridge..."Beware of Falling Prices" ...err I mean Ice! :pottytrain2:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Everyone,
Good one Dan!!!! I totally agree with you on that little bimbo but you are being far more polite than I would be!!!! That bridge thing is a bloody disgrace and absolutely embarrassing to the province of B.C..!!! Putting aside all politics I don't give a you know what what party or who the premier of B.C. is I would be just as ticked off about this!!! Lucky someone did not get killed!!! Then of course you have this big snowstorm that just hit the last few days! If I was out there I would be avoiding the new Port Mann Bridge like the plague right now until I am completely convinced its safe! Have been over it hundreds of times in the past before any of that construction began and I really do like the location of the Bridge, the view you get driving over it of the mountains etc.. However under recent and current circumstances forget it!

By the way its more like winter in Greater Vancouver than in Southern Ontario up to tonight. Just got hit with a very wet snow and freezing rain mix and its a cold wind blowing but hovering around the freezing mark just real damp like Vancouver usually. Not that cold but fairly gusty cold damp wind. Not much snow accumulation but they are warning people to be very careful because of the freezing rain. I was in Cobourg earlier tonight and it was just rain and wind. In Baltimore which is 4 miles away to the NE. there was very wet snow and just a dusting of it not even one quarter inch!!! Still coming down a bit but mostly freezing rain and rain now, very messy and unpleasant especially for driving!

Anyway hope the Port Mann Bridge problems are solved and there are no more screw-ups with it! I must say that I do really like the Golden Ears Bridge from Langley to Maple Ridge and that one seems to have been built properly!!!

Take care everyone and hope you have all your christmas shopping done!!!

Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 pm

You're absolutely right Eldon.....I am being too polite. How about the IRRITATING Little Bimbo who sends chills up my spine whenever she opens up her big yap on newscasts? Similar to someone scratching a blackboard with their fingernails.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics