Looking for a pic

Postby johnsykes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:15 pm

I'm looking for a pic of an old comrade of mine....Tom Cherrington. We worked together at CKGM in Montreal.....a newsman of character and vast experience. He went on to talk-radio in Ontario in he 70's. I've lost contact of where he went. Appreciate any info you could provide.
Thanks
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:49 pm

From 1960 to 1964, before Pat Burns came to CKGM, Tom Cherington ruled the roost with his own brand of talk show. "What was great about CKGM," he reflects, "was that they didn't control you - they simply asked you to be responsible."

Like Burns, Cherington was often abrasive and usually argumentative, a confirmed "law and order" man. "Those were very controversial times, and we felt the very future of Quebec and Canada was at stake," Cherington says.

He remembers the seeds of separatism, the FLQ, the Pearson minority government and its ongoing battles with Diefenbaker. He remembers a flaming Molotov cocktail flung through a window of the old CKGM building at the corner of Drummond and Burnside. "A fantastic old cleaning lady just bent down and dropped it into her pail of water," he chuckles.

Today Cherington is settled in Hamilton and hosts a live interview and phone-in talk show on CHCH TV. He's been doing it for years and loves the work, but regrets that "you just can't do it the same way on TV." Cherington, incidentally, says he owes a lot of his style to the late, great Joe Pine from CFCF.

"Those were great days," he says of his stay in Montreal. "I've never felt so alive in all my life."
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics