The Talk of Tomorrow's Radio Morning Shows

The Talk of Tomorrow's Radio Morning Shows

Postby jon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Man shoots armadillo, bullet bounces off and goes through mobile home before hitting mother-in-law
By Associated Press & National Post Staff
April 14, 2015 1:33 PM

LEESBURG, Georgia — Authorities say a man shot an armadillo, but ended up accidentally wounding his mother-in-law when the bullet ricocheted off the mammal known for its hard shell.

Sheriff’s deputies tell WALB-TV that 54-year-old Larry McElroy fired his 9 mm pistol at the armadillo Sunday night in the southern state of Georgia.
Deputies say the bullet killed the armadillo, but bounced off the animal, hit a fence, travelled through the back door of the mother-in-law’s mobile home and the recliner in which she was sitting, striking her in the back.

McElroy’s 74-year-old mother-in-law, Carol Johnson, suffered injuries described as non-life-threatening. Sheriff’s investigator Bill Smith said she was walking and talking afterward.

Sherriff’s deputies say McElroy was about 100 yards (90 metres) away from the home when he shot the armadillo.

And, it turns out county authorities actually encourage residents to shoot or trap troublesome armadillos.

“At first I ask if they live in the city or county, because shooting is an effective way of getting rid of them. However, you have to be safe when you do that,” James Morgan, the Dougherty County Extension Coordinator, told WALB-TV.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The Talk of Tomorrow's Radio Morning Shows

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Cheers for Willie... http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/willie-nels ... -1.3040393

Did Willie ever record Jessie Winchester's `Twigs and Seeds' ?
PMC

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Here is another that is the new talk radio :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 55?cmp=rss
PMC

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:09 pm

While DXing Sat. night, I managed to phase out KGAL & log "K-High 1580" - firs time since the format flip. Fading in & out was a discussion with a Dr specializing in sleep disorders & talking about pros/cons of marijuana consumption as a sleep aid. I understand this station has some paid religion, infomercial blocks that don't belong, but hopefully advertising revenue will replace this. The mainstream media refuses anything to do with advertising of marijuana, related products & accessories. KHIG Colorado Springs is hoping to tap this unserved market. Lifestyle-based talk formats are slowly replacing some of the right-wing hate & vitriol that have been the staples of talk-radio for a number of years. It's possible a format like this will work in Colo., Wash., Oreg., Alaska or D.C. where it's now legal. Instead of canned religion, I'd love to hear some complementary music blocks with appropriate music from the likes of Willie Nelson, Snoop Dog Lion, Grateful Dead, Cab Calloway & Peter Tosh to name a few. :rr:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Conceivably, the FCC could take a negative position on this because marijuana is still in violation of federal laws. Then again, so are murder and cocaine, both of which were the subjects of popular hit songs in the past.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Interesting that a lot of people are making big bets that "Marijuana shops" - "Medicinal Marijuana Shops" - are going to continue being a cash cow. The taxes collected must be making the broke fools in Victoria, smile.

So technically - they are illegal.

BUT -

They are springing up, er, like weeds, all over Vancouver.

Will it be legalized?

CNN doing a big hype with Sanjay Gupta....

4/20 drew 15,000 to YVR City Hall.

Has the tide turned?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:38 pm

good point slowhand, but I'll bet K-high has Jimmy McGill on retainer waiting to take on the FCC :groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Incredible DX catch, sky. All my sources show KHIG-1580 in Colorado Springs as 140 watts non-directional after sunset Colorado time.

1580 has always been an interesting frequency. First Ontario catch from here in Edmonton was CKDO in Oshawa on 1580 when they first moved there about a decade ago. Most winter evenings, they were (are?) dominant on the non-directional antenna of the car radio.

In the late '60s, it was 1000 watt KLOU in Lake Charles, Louisiana being the first U.S. station to be heard signing on, on Monday mornings. Then KBGO in Waco, Texas, presumably running 500 watts as it was well before sunrise Texas time. But the real surprise came a couple of years later when KBGO could be consistently heard just before Vancouver sunset in the winter, all alone and clear when I nulled out KDAY (Santa Monica, CA), again running 500 watts at that time of day.

XEDM in Hermosillo was listed as 50,000 watts back then but sounded more like their current 10,000 watts, or less, given how KBGO and KLOU totally drowned them out. Given the terrain, I suspect it may have been a ground conductivity issue at the XEDM transmitter site.

Funny thing was that, before your report, I was going to joke that 140 watts may have made KHIT hard to hear at their studio location. Now I see that their studios are at the transmitter site.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:22 pm

jon - Conditions on Sat. night to the southeast were very enhanced & one of my wire antennas - the 120' "sloper" is oriented for reception in that direction. As KREL, it only showed up a few times this winter. Usual night "owner" of 1580 is KGAL Lebanon OR, but I can often phase this out to hear KKTS Evansville WY KMIK Tempe AZ or XEDM Hermosillo.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 pm

It only lasted a month, at least OTA. KHIG migrated to on-line only on May 15th, when 1580 changed call letters to KFCS and began simulcasting sister station KFEZ-FM.

Wikipedia lists the format as Soft A/C, though an IRCA DX'er of long standing reported it as Jazz when he heard it from Montana on June 11th.

KHIG’s Pot Talk Moves Online After One Month
Lance Venta
radioINSIGHT.com
May 15, 2015 at 2:45 pm

On the one month anniversary of its launch, the first station dedicated to Marijuana Talk has moved online. 1580 KHIG Colorado Springs has flipped to a simulcast of SoCo Radio’s Shopping/Classic Hits “Easy 101.3” KFEZ Walsenburg/Pueblo. The prior format remains online at LetsTalkPot.com. The format change is connected to the death of station owner Dr. Gene Hood on April 24. Hood’s will insisted that his Pilgrim Communications sell their Colorado holdings upon his death. Both KHIG and KFEZ are operated by Mike Knar’s SoCo Radio via LMA.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics