Stress Level at 99%

Stress Level at 99%

Postby raverocks » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

A crisis to me is something I'm loosing sleep over, and it's come to that.

It took two years of of a battle to get caught up on filing my taxes only to be threatened with a $4,000 Health Insurance bill from our friends in Victoria. No amount of form filling & email messages, even as high up as the Premier's office, got me anywhere. I'm now completely retired, living on about $1,300 a month from government pensions (that includes the supplement). After paying bills & rent, that money runs out by the 10th of each month. My $500 bank overdraft gets used each month, which I end up paying the bank interest money on.

A recent letter informed me that the Health Bill will be collected by garnishment. This is a bill I cannot afford to pay. I'm already eating all the K.D. my body can handle, I can't afford to see a dentist, I gave up on trying to keep a car on road 3 years ago, my apartment rent goes up in September and my enjoyment of life has nose dived to the point that I'm starting to doubt my willingness to put up with this existence much longer.

The latest chapter unfolded with a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency in Surrey, informing me that they have been deducting $166.82 a month from my pension cheques this past year without my knowledge and without my consent. That $2,001.84 is close to what my Income tax refund should be this year. Which all means that, by this method, they are able to siphon off funds from my pension cheque and collect the debt that way. My blood continues to boil.

Perhaps I'm getting the treatment I deserve and I've just turned into a cranky, belligerent angry ka-mudge-in. As I believe the end of the world is coming very soon anyway, I'm not going to storyboard and script a public suicide quite yet. I publish these thoughts here, not to attract the attention of the Vancouver Police Suicide Prevention Squad, :razz: but more to further underline the value of a good dental plan.
Find me on Twitter @RaveRocks101 and on You-Tube
raverocks
Advanced Member

Re: Stress Level at 99%

Postby PMC » Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 pm

I am assuming you speak of medicare in B.C.

if so then your pension is not taken by B.C. Services to collect on the bill.

If you did not make more that twenty eight thousand in any of those four years, then you can get a credit applied.... you need all your returned income tax statements per year to verify what you actually earned. See the B.C. Services office.for the details. They are friendly and don't bite :)

Good luck with it !
PMC

Postby raverocks » Wed May 24, 2017 8:32 pm

I photocopied the tax returns they requested & sent them to Victoria months ago. To that, they've never responded.

While the BC health tax collector claims to be unable to ask Ottawa for my tax return info directly, over privacy rights concerns, they are able to collude with the Feds to steal pension money from me under the guise of "Installment Payments". I have no other income. Because of only having less than half-a-mouthful of teeth, I am unemployable. For the past few years, I've come to realize I'm half a step from living on the street as I'm barely making it through each month now and it's only going to get worse as the years progress. Out of practicality, I don't have a very healthy view of the future. I've jumped through all of the government hoops they've asked of me. I know the fights I've been having with the two governments has affected my mental health and I can now see why some people choose dropping out of society and live on the street rather than pay a huge tax bill or do labor work at minimum wage, only to have a third of it taken away by the tax department. The poorest Canadians are the easiest targets because our lack of resources keeps us closer to a fixed address, if we can afford one. Life has become uncomfortable to me, almost unbearable at times. And it doesn't help getting threats like the one I'm living with now.

The only benefit of being a Senior that I've witnessed is the cheaper bus fare and having teenagers offering me a seat. And when that happens, I immediately feel 10 years older than I was before I got on the bus.
raverocks
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Try walking into a B.C. Service office... They want real tax forms, not photocopies. They also want valid ID.

Try a hospital for your teeth... is there a dental college in Van ? Dentists go to school to learn and get to practice their craft while in college. They give great rates, and you don't feel a thing :)

And if you insist on being depressed, go to the local mental health clinic. The people are there for you !
PMC

Postby retireddxer » Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am

Often the best way to get help is to become a financial burden that can be solved with some professional help. Apply for Welfare or Home Care. That makes you a target for professionals assigned to help people get off Welfare or stay at home instead of being institutionalized. You will probably see a Social Worker or Nurse who can organize the right professionals to get you out of the financial mess you are in.

As for eating, Food Banks are a good choice.

If you are at least 65, there may even be Seniors programs that can help. They may even provide free dental care; so might Welfare.
retireddxer

Postby raverocks » Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm

There are two or more news stories buried in my rant, which I chose to publish here first. I will clarify the stories but first an update.

Sunday, I sent an email to the Premier's office in Victoria accusing her government of collusion with Services Canada & Revenue Canada, to siphon from my pension money and make it available for garnishment proceedings. I also outlined my long term plans to pre-pay my urn-less cremation, finalize my worldly accounts, say goodbye & take my life in a non-messy, non-public moment. Of course that email, which I cc'd to the Province, Global TV & CBCVancouver, got an 8:57 loud knock on the door, predictably, from three armed members of the Vancouver Police Suicide Prevention squad, who had not read the email letter and came into my apartment with hands on their holster. Whoever alerted the police without providing them with full details of my 'rant', only made them look and feel foolish. My 9:07am, they departed with as much haste as they had arrived.

I am not a loon. I AM off my rocker, though. This is neither an act nor a public Venting to gain sympathy in my fight with bill collector.

The news stories. #1 There is a Right-to-Die movement that I've recently come in contact with, made up mostly of retired, physically healthy men who want the right to choose how & when, rather than wait for nature to take its course while being forced to maintain an unacceptable quality of life.

#2 The current over-dose crisis should be viewed as a mass-suicide crisis. The "F" drug has allowed a sure way out for hundreds each month who had nothing to live for and nothing to loose. As soon as our governments clue in that this is NOT a drug crisis, they might begin to understand the depths of despair involved and perhaps they might begin to plot a course that solves homelessness, housing & run-away drug abuse amongst the poor.

#3 Our provincial government has declared they are unable to see my tax returns because of privacy laws. I have both verbally & in writing, given away those rights. As I have nothing to hide, I'd go so far as post them on the internet for anyone to read. I really don't care anymore. But the story is they may not be able to see the information, but they are able to collude and have the Federal Services Canada to with-hold $2,000 of my pension this past year in the guise of Installment Payments. Hey, that's almost to the penny what my tax refund should be this year. But what about this letter that informs me the provincial government has the legal right to take my tax refund to pay a bill that I do not acknowledge and know I will only pay over my dead body.
raverocks
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics