Handheld electronic device ban while driving

Handheld electronic device ban while driving

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 pm

With more and more provinces getting on board banning hand held devices while driving, I was amazed to read reports today that Ontario drivers, despite the huge publicity campaign in the media, claim they were unaware of the new law that came into effect yesterday.
A police blitz all across Toronto confirmed this.
Here's a suggestion.
When the bans begin, why don't the cellular providers put a recorded message on the system so that when you either dial out or pick up a call, it tells you that using a hand held device while driving now is illegal and the fine is $xxx.
Simple to do with today's technology.
I remember when Rogers Pay As You Go began each incoming or outgoing call with "you have a balance of $xxx remaining."
The warning could run for a month until even the dumbest lunkhead gets the message.
So the technology already is or could be placed in use.
So come on you rich telecommunications giants, do some real public service work for a change.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Handheld electronic device ban while driving

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 am

My Gamin GPS displays a warning on screen anytime one attempts to enter new data or adjustments while driving; you have to physically select an option of whether or not to override the safety function.
I realize this is probably more for the legal protection of Gamin than a concern for the consumer but, it works.
I'm motivated to either decide that what I want isn't worth endangering myself over and just leave it alone or, pull over and make the adjustments roadside.
So, bottom line, the technology is there for mobile phone providers to apply.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics