Snow dumped on Cypress street a mistake, VANOC admits

Postby TransistorSister » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 am

A breakdown in communications was blamed for dozens of tandem-trailer truckloads of snow being dumped on Cypress street in Vancouver's Kitsilano neighbourhood yesterday afternoon admitted a spokesman for VANOC.

The precious white stuff - loaded at Manning Park - was to be taken to Cypress Mountain where it is rumoured some Olympic events will be taking place in just over a week.

"It was an honest mistake," said Earl Tarbox, speaking on behalf of the truck drivers.

"Honest to Christ, I was sure the guy from VANOC said Cypress street, not Cypress Mountain."

"Looking on the bright side," said a VANOC representative, "All of the accidents caused by the unexpected snow on the street goes a long way towards our goal of reducing overall traffic in the city by 30 per cent."

The freshly groomed debris field stretched along Cypress from Broadway to West 4th avenue.

Groups of happy children sledded down the hill while a platoon of bored Olympics security guards huddled around a burner barrel on the corner trying to keep warm.

Meanwhile police warned drivers not to venture out onto the street unless their vehicles were equipped with studded tires or chains.

Snow Conditions on Cypress street remain good this morning with a base of 32" and a light southwesterly wind.
TransistorSister
Advanced Member

Re: Snow dumped on Cypress street a mistake, VANOC admits

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:05 am

TransistorSister wrote:
Snow Conditions on Cypress street remain good this morning with a base of 32" and a light southwesterly wind.

to quote radiofan - "i almost spit out my cheerios" when I read this

keep up the good work "sis"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

TS is the best!
And how about that 15 thousand dollar an hour helicopter they had working on Cypress Mountain yesterday!!!!!!!!
And today, it's sunny and 12 degrees in Vancouver.
I think they better start buying up all the whipped cream, cream cheese, cool whip and other dairy and non dairy toppings if they want to have anything white on that mountain.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:if they want to have anything white on that mountain.

What's wrong with oatmeal? It served decades of film makers, and keep its composition despite megawatts of hot lighting.

Weird coincidence: the first album cut I ever heard by Van Morrison (on CKLG-FM), and still a personal favourite, is "Cypress Avenue". And the chorus goes "Caught one more time on Cypress Avenue." In case you check it out, the original album was never charted on Billboard.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:i almost spit out my cheerios when I read this

just got a fon call from Bobby Hughes or was that Billy Hughes stating that "radiofan" only :sign6: spits out his Wheaties.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

... and the weather forecast for next week in Salzburg, Austria...

... the city that lost the 2010 Winter Olympic bid to Vancouver...

... minus 9 and light snow... :lol:

JK
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:
Jack Bennest wrote:i almost spit out my cheerios when I read this

just got a fon call from Bobby Hughes or was that Billy Hughes stating that "radiofan" only :sign6: spits out his Wheaties.

Now that you've made a 'dog's' breakfast of it....... the original quote refered to spitting out Pepsi, not cereal. So you would actually be paraphrasing radiofan.
So your word of the day: paraphrase.
You're welcome. :D
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks :love9: Howbouthis - my olympic sport has moved from para-sailing to para-phrasing.
Wow "it's the real thing"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I certainly hope with all the extra helicopters in the air and the tandem diesel-belching tandem trailers trucking snow from Manning Park, that VANOC factors this into their carbon footprint...after all these are the Green Games. :albino:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 pm

crs wrote:I certainly hope with all the extra helicopters in the air and the tandem diesel-belching tandem trailers trucking snow from Manning Park, that VANOC factors this into their carbon footprint...after all these are the Green Games. :albino:

I think the weather on the local mountains has something to do with it being called the " Green Games ".....
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:11 am

sandclan wrote:I think the weather on the local mountains has something to do with it being called the " Green Games ".....
:wink:

Ladies and germs.... Mr. Obvious joke! :occasion7: :occasion2: :drunken: :sign5:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 am

Max Headroom wrote:I'm looking forward to the Summer Olympics next week. As I type this I can hear helicopters flying above my head. Reminds me of my days in 'Nam. Good to know our Government is spending that much to fly the buggers.

Me thinks you jest Max - you were in Nam?
The government is flying buggers now?

meanwhile back to Cypress street where the snow has melted and the kids are crying.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am

TS laid me on the floor with VANOC tent post today.

This whole Olympics is really burning my Nikes.

I am watching a gaggle of people in Vanoc Jackets (*Love the Clown colours) and they are waddling along Pacific here, about to get a tour of the huge Klieg lights that are now installed on Foreshore of False Creek. They were testing them last night and the Opening Ceremonies will have some fun light elements, unless I miss my guess.
Talking about the Opening Ceremonies.
I was sort of hoping we could shoot Jim Flaherty out of a Cannon, made by Bombardier, and powered by a Ballard Power Cell, and he can land in the tons of Vancouver's biggest export - laundered Drug Money.
Something has to explain all these BMW's and SUV's and crazed speculation. :occasion1:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 am

I wonder if they thought of using the water bombers that fight forest fires? They could convert them into SNOW BOMBERS! I can see it now - several migrant workers shoveling snow out the back of a low flying plane......
Donald R
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics