Media Objectivity at the Olympics

Media Objectivity at the Olympics

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 pm

It takes 'til the second to last day of the games for someone run with this story?

Hmmmm....

See:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new ... &type=lgns
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: Media Objectivity at the Olympics

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 pm

On balance - I think all the reporting I have heard and seen is okay to good. I miss some of the xpertise of the CBC crew.

I think for two weeks we can lower the bar a bit in a nationalism vs nationalism contest of the mountain countries.

In reference to my first statement - yes their has been a series of mistakes and mis-cues but generally I am impressed.

Maybe I am but one person but I look forward to Tues and Weds next when the crowds are gone and we can get back to the hum drum -

Spring is just around the corner. Go Canada Go
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:44 pm

So what if they show bias for Canadian athletes? :shock: I'd be pissed off if they didn't! As far as I'm concerned its Canada against the world and CTV/Rogers paid big bucks to broadcast the games TO CANADA, not the rest of the world.
It would be like the hockey pbp guys being paid by the Canucks, not showing any emotion when they score.
Its about time we started showing some enthusiasm for our own athletes!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: for Howaboutthat - I think I agree with him or her
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Two words.

MOSTLY GREAT.

Kudos to CTV....one negative was the execrable Michael Landsberg....on TSN......he thought he was the show.

NBC did some great stuff on Vancouver and Victoria and on balance just fine.

The City is going to go through 'withdrawal' after the Games.

Now, if Team Canada can bury the Kesler's, I will be a happy Camper. :bigsmurf:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby arcticdx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:41 pm

For obvious reasons I haven't seen CTV's coverage of the Olympics, but I see nothing wrong in being biased, as long as you don't sacrifice a reasonable amount of objectivity. Conflicting terms? Not really. By being "biased" I mean having the patriotic flavour needed to engage the audience, while at the same time being able to accept and indeed appreciate excellent performances from other nations athletes. Sadly, Norwegian media has a way to go in this respect, especially the internet news papers. Maybe all media has.

Bjarne Mjelde
Berlevag, Arctic Norway
arcticdx.blogspot.com
arcticdx

Postby johnsykes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, I've said since he first appeared....Landsberg is an egotistical you know what. And turning from a negative to a positive..

One of the greats in sports broadcasting in my mind is Vic Rauter.....he, Linda Moore and Ray Turnbull have been an amazing team covering curling for ages. Vic calls the game but knows when to turn it over to the experts for their call on strategy by the two teams. I met Vic some 35 years ago at the Newsmen's Curling bonspiel and knew then he was going to be something special for the sport in Canada, and he hasn't disappointed me one bit.

And for the poor guy who has called Blue Jays baseball for some years and got dumped for the coming season, Jamie Campbell,
you did a marvelous job on the slopes.

Rod Smith doing speed skating.....wonderful. And back to the negative.....Rod Black, whining as usual!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

At least when John criticizes someone or something, he doesn't hide behind anonymity. :P
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm

... and now that the game is over, it's time to pay the bills... starting with the Campbell government's provincial budget on Tuesday. :cheers:
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Why is it with B.C. politics, you media types call it the Campbell government and not just the government?....I don't recall hearing any of you calling it the Carole James NDP opposition
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 am

Now to be fair John - we called it the Clark government, the Barrett government, the Harcourt government.

We usually don't give the Queen's loyal opposition a name like Campbell/James or ...I forget the rest.

I noticed John that you have some comments on various subjects but not too much on the "oily limp dicks".

I think they were great but I am glad to have them over and get back to my hum drum existence in lil ole Oliver. I would also think those that question the standards of journalism of CTV or NBC just dont get it. Its not just a sports event - its something special once every four years where nations come together to strut their stuff and wave their flag.

Now back to our regular programming....
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Watching/listening to the curling calls, I was reminded very much of the late Bill Good Sr.
If that was Rauter doing the play by play, he's borrowed a lot of his style from Good.
I worked with Bill Good Sr. as an op for a curling broadcast long, long ago in Kelowna as CKOV was a CBC basic station back then.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 pm

I doubt if Vic borrowed anything from Mr. Good.....he's been around curling since the very early 70's....and is from Toronto.
I, too, used to hear Bill, Sr. doing curling play by play on radio with Cactus Jack Wells....very few could do the job as well as them. No, I'd give credit to Vic Rauter for being top-notch......as well as his sidekicks, Linda Moore and Ray Turnbull. They make up a team that I hope stays together for several more years. I remember being in Manitoba in 1958 when Ray and his virtual schoolboy chums, skipped by Terry Braunstein, almost upset heavily-favoured Matt Baldwin in the Brier. It was their team that forced the Canadian Curling Association to set a minimum age limit on entries for the Brier. I guess it was set to avoid embarrasing veteran curlers.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics